Ravatherm offcuts

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pal123, Dec 28, 2022.

1. pal123

pal123 Member

I'm looking to get a bulk insulation order just for insulating under the floorboards. I have found Ravatherm blocks being sold as offcuts which has dimensions 1200mm x 600mm x 200mm. Ravatherm is a type of dense polystyrene. The seller has not specified what type of Ravatherm and thinks it is either S50 or S350 Ravatherm. I'm not familiar with Ravatherm - is it suitable for insulating in a domestic property? Are the material properties similar to that of standard PIR insulation boards? Advice please, thanks

2. Knight Rider

Knight Rider Member

Ravatherm is a French manufacturer of insulation. This is from their website:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.e-sfic.fr/les-marques/ravatherm

3. BGL

BGL Member

Polystyrene is different from PIR boards with the latter having a better u value. Polystyrene is a definite no if it comes in contact with any cabling it migrates the PVC, breaking down the insulation.

4. pal123

pal123 Member

Thanks - so no contact with PVC cabling. Out of interest does PIR board insulation also break down PVC cabling insulation?

Under the floorboards there are also copper pipes and plastic pipes for hot water/cold water/radiators. Would the polystyrene negatively effect these pipes if in contact?

5. pal123

pal123 Member

Should I wrap any PVC cables I expect to be close to (but NOT touching) the polystyrene insulation in polypropylene or polyethylene tape? This would provide 2 means of preventing the polystyrene from touching the PVC 1) being physical separation and 2) the tape. Any thoughts?