Ravenheat CSI 85 Boiler - Excessive Gas Usage.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rob290482, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I have the baove fitted (its about 6 years old or so and was fitted before we moved into the house and serviced annually up to about 3 years ago when we moved in.

For the first few years it was fine and didnt give us any trouble except the hot water sometimes took a bit too long to come on.

However, the past 6 months the gas bills have been massive. We were hitting around £110 a month on gas. The only gas appliances we have are the above boiler and a small gas fire in the livingroom that is rarely if ever on. Everything else is electric.

I decided to turn down the setting on the theremostat to 21C for a few hours in the morning and again for about 5 hours in the evening. during the night its set at 18C and during the day 17C.

The house is quite warm and i expect the heating has been running for about 9 hours a day at most.

The Gas bill again for the past 3 months has averaged £90 a month !!!!

If there was a fault witgh the boiler, would this excessive gas usage occur? I cant smell gas anywhere so dont think there is a leak.

I have signed up with British Gas Cover as they do a boiler service and cover for the year, but i am at a loss why the gas bill is so high.

Last year we has a gas oven and our gas bill for winter averaged at around £25-£30 a month max so even based on 50% increase in gas price it shouldnt exceed £45 a month.

Any advice? if the boiler is arsed, would getting the newer CSI 85 AAA T be better? or should i pick a different model completely? I just assumed it would be cheaper to be fitted if the boilder was the same and has the same connection places.

Rob

2. 4.6 GT

4.6 GT New Member

Doubt theres anything wrong with the boiler, BG will check the flue gasses and the burner pressure to check it's not over gassed( they have to).It,s more likely just the price of gas gone through the roof or you're using more hot water. The CSI is a condensing boiler i think so upgrading to another wont make much difference.

3. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I have just been thinking about this and we have been using more hot water than usual (got an 8 month old baby) who has a bath each night.

Is using the hot water so expensive? He only gets about 6 inch of water in the bath so its not a full bath.

Rob

4. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I forgot to mention that i have the temperature set to the energy efficient setting (sort of half temp setting).

I have noticed that the dial to adjust the temp of the hot water and heating seems loose. It seems like it just spins freely and isnt connected to anything. Is this normal or could it have detached? I can check later on when i get home but turning it right down, but it does seem very loose.

Thanks

Rob

5. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

See it's like this Rob, kids cost...............And I'm sure like most Dads you would give them the world!!

6. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

lol, i would, but £90 a month for a bath a day (and he isnt even dirty) lol.

If it is the hot water, then i will be happy (or at least releaved that i know whats costing me)

We use the electric shower (in the other room) which is a cold fill shower so no gas cost) plus the bath is quite wide and long so does take a good bit of water to fill deep enough to cover his legs.

Rob

7. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

It's got to be a combination of extra HW & Heating that's bumping up your Bill.

Don't worry about it, wait until he goes to Uni.........Oh ***!!

8. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Ah I loved bath time, you enjoy every minute Rob mate. They grow up too quickly.

Don't think we've had a baby on here before? I love kids, I went to Skool with them.

9. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

Well i got home and tested out the temp dial. Firstly it took around 1 min for the water to go from cold to hot (about 40 seconds or so to get luke warm) and the boiler is about 5 meters from the bathroom tap (5 meters of pipe)

I turned the temp to 0 and it still came out scalding hot. It sort of does a little bit scalding, then a few seconds at cool, then back to scalding hot again?

Will it be the thermostat faulty or something else? I dont think it should take that long to heat up and definitely shouldnt be scalding hot when its set to 0.

Rob

10. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

I turned the temp to 0 and it still came out scalding hot. It sort of does a little bit scalding, then a few seconds at cool, then back to scalding hot again?

Will it be the thermostat faulty or something else? I dont think it should take that long to heat up and definitely shouldnt be scalding hot when its set to 0.

Rob

This is a classic case of the plate heat exchanger being blocked,you need a decent RGI who can come out to sort this out for you ,hot water uses more gas then heating because the boiler is running at full power to heat the water.Get the secondary heta exchanger sorted and you will save yourself from burning loads of gas unnecessarily

11. Rob290482

Rob290482 Member

I signed up to the British Gas Care 200 the other day and an engineer is coming out to do a boiler service in the next week or so.

Should i mention it to him, or wait a while? I dont want them saying i cant claim within so many days of the policy so its tough.

Rob

12. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Dont worry they will sell you hydroflow,a powerflush and magnaclean real sharpish all to protect your boiler of course! :)