RCBO Question - Ok To Use On 220v?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Oct 6, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Evening guys. Right first of all the supply type is 220volts, 60Hz TN-C-S (country abroad)

Right I have found rcbo's at 50 to 60 hz but all are rated at 230v.

The inevitable question - do you reckon its ok to run above on 220v instead of 230v? (in reality our pd is 240v but that is neither here or there)

Thanks guys.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I've not relly got my thinking cap ( very long week) on mate but I can tell you RCD's are current based so I can't see why the voltage would make any difference.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr C - it is only 10 volts off the 230 stamped on the rcbo body. Do you reckon I should also ask the manufacturer if it is ok?

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think I would just fit it and test it JP, as long as trip times are ok i'd be happy with it.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

My main problem also is that of course when I have finished the electrics it will be to English standards - it all has to be tested and certificated, maybe they might refuse certificate because of alternative wiring etc?

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Your right Sen - I've got a habit of over complicating things and yes your way is best..as long as everything tests ok thats the main thing.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Might be useful to tell us what country your going to be doing the work in?

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The DP main switch would be ok at 60Hz?

The earth cable coming from rod/rebar to met is single strand, and they use aluminium cables etc flipping heck

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Its Mindanao Mr C (its the two wire system, and not 3)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Mr P - if I cant go ahead with rcbo's then I will think of a dual rcd, it wouldn't give me high integrity though, but cant have everything. I will have to confirm everything with the manufacturers I agree 100%

At the end of the day if it is a no go then I will have to do it all there way - but would not be happy doing that tbqh..I am not saying there way is bad, but our systems really are tried and tested.