RCD on a Wylex Split load CU

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dithers, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Dithers

Dithers New Member

I have just fitted a Volex garage RDC unit and wired the 6mm T&E tails to a Wylex split load consumer unit on the right hand side (the non RCD side). With power on to the garage RCD unit all is ok until I plug in anything to the two 13m sockets in the garage or turn on the two new fluor lights. The RCD on the main Wylex CU trips, but not the new Volex unit.
    The garage circuits all check out ok using a Fluke Multimeter so why does the main RCD keep tripping?
    Any suggestions please?

2. Sounds like something might be wired wrong... strange

3. Actually, did you by any chance return the neutral to the bar in the Wylex CU that all the RCD circuits are run to?

In a split load CU you'll probably find 2 neutral bars. One goes via the RCD to the other. The other goes out via the tails.

4. pachyderm

pachyderm New Member

Actually, did you by any chance return the neutral to
    the bar in the Wylex CU that all the RCD circuits are
    run to?

In a split load CU you'll probably find 2 neutral
    bars. One goes via the RCD to the other. The other
    goes out via the tails.

Took the words out of my mouth - I know someone who did just that on Monday this week.

5. Dithers

Dithers New Member

Thank you all for your help. The neutral had been taken to the wrong terminal strip thus the tripping of the main RCD.

Thanks