RCD - Test monthly - circuit tripped

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by atc0829, Aug 11, 2022.

1. atc0829

atc0829 New Member

This morning the RCD labelled “test monthly” tripped , but no other RCD’s were affected, the power to the upstairs and downstairs sockets went off. No work has been carried out , no new anything and we’ve never had any issues with the box or wiring in the house. Just wondering why the test circuit would trip and not any of the others ?

4A3690F2-0542-4F8E-81A5-6AB3253BF756.jpeg

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

It is NOT a test circuit. That RCD protects the three MCBs to teh right. It will have tripped becasue there is a high earth leakage - that could be one device, in which case you need to find out which, out the cummulative of several devices which is quite normal.

Have you reset it? Has it tripped again?

3. atc0829

atc0829 New Member

Thanks FlyByNight , I reset it and it hasn’t tripped again .. well , yet anyway, I was just confused as to why I didn’t see a particular circuit tripped , I thought that was literally just some kind of test switch.

So it’ll be going through items that are plugged in and eliminating as per the usual process ? Could something random have happened with an appliance?

4. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The three breakers to right of the RCD are MCBs. They trip if you have an overcurrent fault.

If the RCD alone trips, you have an earth leakage fault. Common items that can cause this are heating elements (kettle, dish washer, immersion heater) and outdoor lighting if it has been raining! Sometimes old toasters can also cause RCDs to trip or if you've been poking something metal in whilst it's toasting :eek: