Re drilling a hole

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Nov 17, 2016.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi all I want to increase a hole already drilled I

I want to use a wood flat drill bit as I need a nut to sit in the recess.

I know with a holes saw you can use ply to guide, any ideas with a wood flat drill bit. Can't see that method working

Any ideas would be great

2. Are you drilling wood, or other?

How thick is the material you are drilling? How deep do you need to drill into it?

What size hole is drilled? What hole size do you need?

tore81 likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can use a Forstner bit,perfect for the job, gives you a flat bottomed hole & you can still use your ply guide with it.
    You will need to remove from the hole your drilling every so often to clear the chips.

[​IMG]

upload_2016-11-17_19-38-51.jpeg

CGN likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Double up on your ply...

tore81 and koolpc like this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It will work fine with a flat bit, drill a hole through a scrap bit of ply, centre it over your existing hole, clamp and drill away.

tore81, koolpc and CGN like this.
  6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If it doesn't, drill a hole through a thicker bit of wood for the guide.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

tore81 likes this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks all!

Those Forstner bits look good ill be investing in some of them.

Everydays a school day

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Look at the dewalt self feed bits of your thinking of getting forstner bits.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The only problem with these is getting the speed and torque right. Too fast and the bit will heat up and lose its edge, some cordless drills are too slow and struggle with the torque.

11. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

The drill will snap your wrists if you're not ready.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I think those Dewalt bits, I would only use in a bench drill.

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I use the 50mm in a handheld mains power, I make up handrail and spindles with 2inch rounds and I could have hundreds of holes to do at any one time.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have never used those Dewalts bits, so my comment maybe wrong on them, but you inspire confidence in me using them free hand.:oops:
    But, the larger bits, might not bit in like the smaller sizes possibly could.

15. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You have to be ready for it, they take themselves in to the wood quite easily, but if you hit a knot it will let you know

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:o_O

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I used to replace a lot of newels and spindles but haven't for a long time. Cutting off and coring out the old newel for pegs used to be a laborious job and had to be precise. Some of the pegs had to go 300mm into the old and new post. And as you say you never new if you would hit a knot, nail or anything else that would knock it off course or worse kick.

I have an industrial grade Metabo mains drill that I use. At the time it was the only one I could find that had the speed, torque and clutch and would run without over heating

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have a cheapy set of Forstner bits so sure not best quality but as DIY, only used a couple of times, and only 35mm cutter for cabinet hinges

Went to use recently and seemed blunt and slow to cut. Tried sharpening the flats with a fine file and now cuts better than when new

Mind you, that MDF does knacker cutting tools / drills quicker than tree wood

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Yes it does, MDF and laminate really do eat though blades! I have a own-brand Wickes bench grinder i use to sharpen chisels, some router bits and odd tools. Good bit of kit if you end up needing to sharpen stuff often.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bench grinder!:eek:

Treat yourself to a Whetstone sharpener like Scheppach 2000s or similar, best money I spent on one, puts an amazing sharp edge on a plane iron or chisel.:)