Re drilling a hole

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Does it make much of a difference?
    I use mine once or twice a month, it has been going for about 12 years though...

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can overheat the steel.

Don't you even use a oil stone or whetstone, I have several Japanesse water stones for honing my chisels, plane irons, etc, the edge you get is sharp,very sharp.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Stuart_B likes this.
  3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Just reading some articles on it KIAB, i am surprised how much of difference the stones make. I didn't realize how little care i am taking of the tools.
    I do change the stone, but they have always been cheaper stones and i tend to use them wet.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The difference between sharpish & very sharp.:)
    My linky above shows what I mean by very sharp.

Joe95 likes this.
  5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Wow. That is much quicker. I have never been able to bring an edge that sharp to a chisel before. Ta KIAB.;)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Once you have a Whetstone sharpener like Scheppach 2000s, Triton,etc, you can sharpen anything with the correct jig, scissors,knives, axes,gouges,etc, I picked up a lot of my used jigs off Ebay cheap.
    Regardless of make most jigs will fit most machines, interchangable between brands.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Do you have the schepparch 2000s? It looks quite resonable for the price.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, I have the Schepparch Tiger 2500, it has a bigger motor 200w compared to 120w for the 2000s & it's rated for continuous operation.

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Ah, that one is a little above what I want to spend. Although I see what you mean about the jigs, the adjustable metal bar seems common on a bunch of the whetstone sharpeners.

Might order the 2000s today then:)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joe95 likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What about an update Joe.o_O

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Wanted to reply at lunch, but I've had a full on day today only got home half an hour ago. So...

My thoughts?
    Well worth it. I have resurrected nearly 30 chisels that i would never have formed correctly on the bench grinder. Must easily be £200 plus in chisels that can all slice through paper now, i could never get this sharpness on the bench grinder.
    Mainly my own fault for poor treatment of them, knocking them into nails and dropping them of ladders etc. Yet after forming and sharpening them every dent is gone.
    I used the two other jigs for it Saturday afternoon, and i used it to sharpen some kitchen knives, and the other to sharpen a few pairs of scissors.
    I even attempted to sharpen some auger bits on it freehand, and they are noticeably quicker drilling now. I think this weekend i will attempt to bring some life back into some old hand planes.
    It is much quieter in operation and feels much more comfortable to use with the paste and jig, not trying to hold anything in place as opposed to the bench grinder.
    It not only makes the tools much sharper, but makes them smooth. I can see myself in the chisel blades now (Not sure if this is a good thing, with a mug like mine!). I could only get them fairly sharp with the bench grinder and they always had dozens of little surface scratches.

It makes a massive difference, and with only about fifteen hours of use so far it has already paid for itself twice over in what it has saved on new tools.
    As for the bench grinder, It will sit in the shed collecting dust...

I intend to look into different stone types and pastes to see what i can do, as i was skeptical how much difference it would make. How wrong i was.

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Sun TigerJapanese Waterstone here, which is about 4000 grit,only seldom been used though, for knives, plane irons,scissors, as the finish is so fine, you don't need to use the honing wheel.
    If I had to buy it today, it would cost £200 or so, for the use it get, it just isn't worth buying one, so save your money.

Joe95 likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should have added that the Sun TigerJapanese Waterstone is a wheel, not a japanese water stone.

You can also resharpen used stanely blades, I use small knife jig, saves a fortune.;)

Might also work with scissor jig, never tried.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Joe95 likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joe95 likes this.
  16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That may be on next years Christmas list.

Just sharpend my chisels using waterstones which I bought this year from axmisister tools.

have got out of practice lately as chisels been a bit neglected. The 1" chisel needs some work, but every time I do a sharpening session, I try to get the shape back on it.

Spent about 1/2 hour on 3 chisels.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seldom use a waterstone nowadays to sharpen chisels, plane irons,etc, quicker & easier on the Tiger 2500.[​IMG]

18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Jit, i would highly recommend it. Kiab's recommendation of the Schepparch 2000s was one of the best things i have purchased following recommendation.

Even with the included stone, it is far superior to my bench grinder and much, much easier and faster to use. Getting the shape back is so easy with a jig compared with freehand or using a block.
    Won't look back now!:)

KIAB likes this.
  19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks, doesn't seem a bad price - always though they were a lot more than this, think I may have paid this amount or more on the 2 stone set plus the veritas jig I am using.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member