Re-painting bathroom walls and ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Harj K 85, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Harj K 85

Harj K 85 New Member

Hi all. Sorry if this has been discussed already on the forum.

We're looking to repaint our bathroom walls and ceiling. The bathroom doesnt have a shower cubicle but does have a rain shower over the bath. Only half of the bathroom needs painting as the half around the bath, sink and cubicle is tiled. We're painting the same colour (painting white over the current white walls/ceiling) so is very much a refresh job instead of a drastic colour change. The state of the walls are fine except for a few small areas where paint has cracked which i was planning to scrape off, sand and layer with a little primer before repainting.

I wanted to ask whether I needed to put a primer/undercoat on all walls/ceiling before i painted or whether i was ok to paint straight onto the old paint after i have scrubbed it with sugar wash? This (the sugar wash and paint) is what Ive done with other rooms however im aware the state of the walls will be different in a bathroom. If i needed an undercoat/primer, can anyone recommend one they've had a good experience with?

I also wanted to ask, how long after the paint job can we use the bath/shower? Would 24 hours be enough? The paint tub says ir dries in 2-4 hours.

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

After thorough cleaning and any making good paint walls with a good branded Acrylic Eggshell such as Dulux Trade.

3. Harj K 85

Harj K 85 New Member

Astramax, many thanks for your reply. Would you say that an undercoat/primer is not needed if we were painting with acrylic eggshell? Ive already bought some bathroom paint from B&Q (their own brand) thinking/hoping this would be suitable. If i were to use this then would it be better to undercoat/primer?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No need to prime when going over existing paint. Drying times will be written on the container.:)

Not a fan of B&Q own branded paint.:(

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I only prime contract paints but that's me. Some of the durable emulsions need primer and they state that. Just read the application data sheet for your paint and follow. I'm more for a matt paint suitable for a bathroom myself, but wb eggshell is popular. Zinnser perma white matt would be my recommendation from Screwfix. Is great paint for what you need. I've also had it tinted to a dulux gray but for a colour matching you will need a trade centre to mix. Your white can be bought off the shelf though