Re routing gas pipes under floor boards

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tedsalad, Dec 13, 2017.

  1. Tedsalad

    Tedsalad New Member

    Sorry if this has been covered before, I've had a good read on here but couldnt see it's been previously covered exactly.

    So I need to move my gas hob and therefore additional gas supply from one side of my kitchen to the other.

    Currently meter is boxed externally and the 22mm copper feed comes through both outer and inner walls horizontally at about 5ft just below boiler.(see pic)

    The feed is teed 15mm top and bottom in the void between the inner wall and plaster board which is dot and dab.

    The top 15mm goes straight up to the boiler and the bottom 15mm drops down and around and off to the hob. Both 15mms are channelled into the inner wall, no plate protection.

    The horizontal feed from meter is sleeved and sealed meter end so any leak after that will initially spill out into the void between plaster board and inner wall, then presumably vent into the kitchen and or into the cavity which is wool filled.

    So to get gas to the other side of the kitchen I can:-
    1. Tee off top of meter, come back out side and run around side of the house and back in again. Don't fancy that it will look *****.
    2. Sweat the 22/15/15 off and replace with 22/15/22 and run the 22 down under the floor which is block and beam and screeded. Don't fancy that as it will be a ball ache to access.
    3. Favoured choice; Sweat the 22/15/15 off and replace with 22/15/22 and run the 22 up into the ceiling void and along and down wall to required place.
    Obviously I would channel the 22mm into the wall and could protect with metal strips. I would also clip the pipe to the middle of the joist every meter.

    Obviously I would get a Gas Safe guy to check and sign off all works before cranking the lever.

    I would love to hear thoughts from any gas registered bods as to whether this is safe and acceptable.

    Thanks in advance.

    Attached Files:

  2. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member

    You can't do any of the work yourself unless your Gas Safe & registered.
  3. Tedsalad

    Tedsalad New Member

    Fully aware of that.

    But if I work backwards and don't make the final cuts and connection then I'm not working with gas am I?

    How about answering the question?
  4. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member

    I doubt anybody gas safe peep would connect to any pipe work you installed or sign it off.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  5. Tedsalad

    Tedsalad New Member

    Mate if your not gonna answer the question posted, best you stay off my post. Thanks
  6. WillyEckerslike

    WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

    KIAB is one of the (if not the) most helpful members of this forum and he was merely pointing something out to you for your benefit - not his. Whether intended or not your reply was rude and uncalled for. Have another go....
    teabreak and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

    KIAB Super Member


    Thanks, tempting, but I'm not going to lower myself & reply.[​IMG]
  8. WillyEckerslike

    WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

    I admire your restraint. There was one guy a few weeks back had a pop at CGN after some help he had offered. When I read his post I must have exclaimed aloud as Mrs Eckerslike popped her head round the door and asked me "Just who was a f##king tw#t?" It was really unnecessary and generated a few comments. I hope Mr Salad isn't like that.
  9. Tedsalad

    Tedsalad New Member

    No not at all WillyEckerslike my reply was not intended to be rude and I'm sorry if you or KIAB thought it was.

    I'm just trying to get an answer to a question relating to the internal running of pipes and what is considered a void/ventable void.

    Perhaps it would be better to look at it as if a Gas Safe Contractor GSC where undertaking the entire job.

    Would my chosen route be considered safe by a GSC or would they be likely to insist on the external route?

    WillyEckerslike likes this.
  10. candoabitofmoststuff

    candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

    I'm not a plumber or gas worker so I can't advise on the actual question, but...

    follows on from;
    Looks like you were intending to do the work yourself, which makes the advisory post extremely valid!

    Come on Ted... folk on here give thier advice freely, and with good intent. Don't take offence where none is meant!


  11. Dave does Gas

    Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

    Your best option is to get an installer in to have a look, tell him what you would like to do, he will have a look and say either yes no problem or no it cant do that because of this (insert reason) and even give you a price for the job.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice