Re-siting staircase

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jackie Young, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Jackie Young

Jackie Young New Member

Hi All,
    I am moving a staircase and it will be parallel with the joists. As the house is 200 yrs old (not listed), the hole for the stairs actually fits between the joists (85cms wide). Building regs have asked for dimensions of trimmers and headers but I don't understand using these as I have not had to cut joists. Do I need to add a joist, cut it, and then apply headers and trimmers? I am guessing it will need strengthening somehow?

jackie

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If you have a trimmed out existing hole then on the face of it you should be able to reuse it. It may just be a standard point in their "reply to people playing about with stairs" letter. That said you want to be sure it's sound.

Do you have a full 2m headroom in your new configuration? BC will require full compliance as it's effectively a new stair so you may have to alter hole.

3. Jackie Young

Jackie Young New Member

Thanks for your reply - yes I have at least 2m headroom and you're right, this is an existing space. I will go back to building regs, I just didn't want to appear stupid and be missing a point.