Re-using expanding foam

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by billhicks, Mar 30, 2010.

1. billhicks

billhicks Member

Any tips on how to prevent a can of expanding from blocking up? (the non gun grade stuff)

Fed up of throwing away 80% full cans.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

On spray paint cans you should turn the tube upside and spray until the tube is clear, I don't know if the same is true for expanding foam.

3. The Arsenal Man

The Arsenal Man New Member

Turning the can upside down wont acheive anything.

You can get a spray on foam cleaner, but that can be as costly as a can of foam dependant on where you buy from.

4. Mof

Mof Guest

I used to leave the can standing upright without removing the tube after using part of the foam,if its not more than say a couple of days after, the tube is only blocked at the last inch or so and can be cleared with a nail, the rest of the tube is still filled with molton foam.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wipe excess with cloth, rinse or soak in turps, don't dry it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Turps doesn't touch wet (or dry!) expanding foam, it is as effective as water - you need acetone (cellulose thinners).

And I don't care how much you argue or how many links you post - I know from real life, not Google.

Handy give it up. Fool.

7. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

either buy smaller cans or geta gun, then the foam can go off in the nozzle of the gun and fork the gun up as well as going off in the can !! you cant win , i have had a few guns go that way :(

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

either buy smaller cans or geta gun, then the foam can go off in the nozzle of the gun and fork the gun up as well as going off in the can !! you cant win , i have had a few guns go that way

Wipe excess with cloth, rinse or soak in turps, don't dry it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. imran_

imran_ New Member

Me too. Now I got a system (gotta have a system - where would we be otherwise. That's right - France).

1. Buy foam cleaner.
    2. When finished with foam remove from gun and attach foam cleaner
    3. Spray until cleaner comes out of gun, then spray on foam can to remove excess
    4. Spray into can top so you can dip the gun end in the cleaner to clean.
    5. Remove cleaner can and tip contents of top onto it to clean that.

Sounds difficult - takes 30 seconds. I usually then leave 5 mins and squirt a bit more cleaner through like the Irish do. To be sure, to be sure.

Haven't spent £20 on a new gun for a while now!!

GoodwithWood and KIAB like this.
  10. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Squirt excess foam into a plastic bag and mould into a giant * shape whilst it sets.

[Edited by: admin]

11. Hank

Hank Member

I've used this cheap & cheerful method a few times now and it works ever time. Pay attention - it gets quite complicated: ;)

Tools & materials required:
    • 2 x small wood off-cuts or blocks of MDF, ply, etc.?
    • 1 x F-clamp or similar or use a vice or workbench (if you don't need it for something else in the meanwhile)
    Method:
    • Let excess foam exit tube
    • Wipe tube clean as much as you can
    • Put bits of wood on either side of the end of the tube
    • Tighten bits of wood with tube in between with clamp
    • Remove when foam is needed again
    • Cut flattened bit of tube off before next use
    I always put a bit of plastic or paper around the tube too (see picture), so that the bits of wood don't stick to the tube.[​IMG]

12. Dakemi

Dakemi New Member

Loctite 7063 super clean will remove wet and semi-dry foam but be careful what surfaces you use it on. It will damage some plastics and paint

13. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

What Imran_ says. Buy yourself a gun. You have total control over the pressure and amount of foam released with a gun compared to the on/off switch method of a can. Once you try a gun you can't go back to using basic cans IMHO.

14. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

If you're not using a gun , take the plastic tube off, lightly press a plasterboard screw into the nozzle (hold in place with tape) and a piece of wire into the tube. When time to use again the dryed foam comes out with the screw. Voilà !;)