Reassurance needed!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chillie22, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Chillie22

Chillie22 New Member

Did the idiot thing - nail through heating pipe... straight through the other side.

Have cut the pipe either side of the hole and used push fit suitable for heating and hot water pipes, to rejoin the two pieces of pipes... at first it leaked straight off so removed and re filed, made sure ends of pipe good and then wrapped in ptfe tape to make a snugger fit... refitted push fit connector...

Refilled full heating system, joint is bone dry. Turned heating on so pipes fully hot. Still bone dry.

24 hrs on, still bone dry.

Scared to put floor board down again as then I can’t constantly check it’s still bone dry every 4 seconds of the day - lol.

Can I presume that if it was going to leak then it would have done so by now??! So worried to put floor back down and carpet etc and then not know if for some reason it’s sneaked open again?!?!

Would covering the full thing in plumbers putty be a good back up plan?

Finally - with the floor board laid back on top, it’s resting on the now bigger pipe... will this be a problem/put pressure on the new joint?!

Thank you in advance from one seriously paranoid diy-er!!

2. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Bad luck, most of us have done it! Assuming copper pipe...? [if plastic pipe did you fit inserts?]Push fit is fine but you dont need ptfe that could make things worse, also make sure that the pipes go all the way in on push fits, they go in a long way. Practice with one and mark the pipe, remove and you will see how much you need. Very unusual for puh fits to leak unless they have not been fitted correctly. Dont cover with anything if its sound now it should be ok but wont be if you put a board resting on it!

3. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

A push fit should never use ptfe tape.
    Firstly it should not need it, secondly it can stop the grab rings gripping.

Chances are if you cut with a hacksaw burrs have damaged the O ring in the push fit.

You need a new push fit and be very careful to remove any burrs at all, most plumbers use a pipe cutter because it leaves a nice rounded end to the pipe.
    Use a little bit of abrasive paper (an emery board will do just as well) to get the end of the pipe smooth, avoid scratching the pipe it's self as it needs to be smooth to seal on the O ring. Measure the depth to the stop in the fitting and put a pencil/marker mark on the pipe to ensure you push the pipe home fully, then a tug to pull the pipe back it usually pulls out a millimetre and locks on the metal grab ring.
    Do not be tempted to put your finger in the fitting unless you want a nasty round cut on the tip!;)
    Wet the pipe before fitting to help the O ring slide in without snagging.
    Do not let the board press on the fitting a push fit will almost certainly leak, use a wood chisel to cut a recess in the floorboard above the fitting.

Depending on what type of push fit you have used removing the old one can be tricky if it is speed fit the collar is pushed in while pulling on the fitting.
    If you are not sure post a photo.:)

4. dcox

dcox Active Member

You shouldn’t need ptfe with pushfit fittings - they have an O ring that does the sealing part. Make sure the fittings are pushed on far enough on to your pipes. After the o ring there are steel ‘teeth’ that bite into the pipe to hold the fitting on. The pipe MUST be pushed on far enough so that these do their job.

If the fittings are now proud of the joists so the floorboards won’t go right down you’ll need to chisel out the notches so the pipe sits a bit lower.

5. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be happy with the floorboards resting on the fitting.
    The pressure on the fitting could help release it accidentally.

6. Chillie22

Chillie22 New Member

Wow! Thanks every one for all the replies!!

I did use ptfe tape already... it’s not leaking at present at all, but after your comments I’m wondering whether I should remove and take off the tape and refit again?! Someone mentioned it would make it worse so now worrying about that?

Concerned about pull it apart again though with it currently being dry still?

As I thought re floorboard... I’ve lowered the gap in the joist so should be sitting lower now, fingers crossed!!

Maybe I keep an eye for a few more days and if it’s still dry then presume it’s safe to leave as it is??

Thank you again!!!

7. Chillie22

Chillie22 New Member

Also slightly paranoid as I’m convince I can smell that wet plaster/wood smell

Any chance I could have caused a leak elsewhere doing this job??!

8. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

I would be worried that if you cut it with a hacksaw the O rings could be damaged.
    Also the ptfe you put on could prevent the teeth from gripping the copper.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Unlikely but not impossible.
    Could it be another nail?

10. dcox

dcox Active Member

Have you got a combi boiler? If so, keep and eye on the pressure gauge. If it drops then you may have another leak.

11. Chillie22

Chillie22 New Member

I think if it was another nail I’d know about it considering the amount of washing that started gushing yesterday!!

12. Chillie22

Chillie22 New Member

I did cut with a hacksaw but then filed the edges and made sure was smooth... it’s not leaking at all at present, but could that be something that could develop or would it just leak from the off?? So if dry now, it should stay that way?

13. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favour ,take it apart and do it properly. It leaked the first time ,and re doing it with PTFE is asking for trouble on a push fit fitting. If pipes are copper ,even better to make a soldered repair. Its just not worth the risk to leave it as is.

Heat and teabreak like this.
  14. Chillie22

Chillie22 New Member

Thanks for your advice... I think you are right - I’ll only be constantly worrying about it if I don’t! Maybe time to get a professional in instead!!! At least I have a temporary fix until I can find one! Floor board stays up!!!

Thanks to everyone for their words of advice, really appreciate your time!

Heat likes this.
  15. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

:) Just remember to put a chair or similar over the hole, you don't want your next post to be how do I mend a hole with my leg in plaster after putting my foot through a ceiling.;)
    Best wishes,
    teabreak.

16. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

And a big NO to ‘covering the whole thing in plumbers putty’

That is an absolutely mental idea and would be of no benefit to mankind :)

18. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Active Member

If the damaged pipe is 15mm copper, this repair coupler, might be the answer.
    Slide the coupler down one end of the pipe, then pull it back onto the other cut pipe. Couple of spanners to tighten up fitting, and the job's a good un. No soldering/blowlamps required.
    PS, a nail through a live cable, is another problem ! Big bang, why did someone bury a cable diagonally in the plastered wall ?
    Been there, done both with nails.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/repair-fitting-15-x-100mm/85529

upload_2019-2-11_22-2-37.png upload_2019-2-11_22-2-37.png

19. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Cutting the copper pipe with a hacksaw is not good for pushfit even if you filed off the burr. The pipe end still wouldn’t be tapered, (like if pipe cutters had have been used), therefore the pipe edge hits the O ring as the push fit fitting is pushed on.
    Only sensible way to repair a copper pipe below floors is to have it replaced with a new piece of copper pipe and soldered fittings - done professionally.