Rebating french doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Humour Me2, May 7, 2008.

1. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

Evening

I have 17 doors to hang as part of my renovations, Im fairly happy with the single doors and since any excuse for a new tool is a good one i plan on ordering up the trend hinge jig. I am however less sure of the double doors, in particular how they should be rebated? and any other top tips to simplify the process, cheers for any help

2. parana

parana New Member

if your buying purpose made french doors they will probably already be rebated. just make sure your door linings are absolutely plumb on both sides or you are going to have fun....

3. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

The doors arent rebated, and i havent put the door linings in yet but the new stud walls the frames are going into are bang on and will be making sure the linings are spot on too. So what should i make the rebate

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Make them the same but different on both doors.

:) Only joking! But with seriousness.

Mr. Handyandy - really

5. chippy chips

chippy chips New Member

Use a rebater bit in the router. Usual measurement is 13mm wide and a tiny bit over half the depth of the door (so they'll close flush without the rebates quite meeting). Are you fitting catches/locks? If so the 13mm is important as that will take the rebate kit for the lock. Once your router is set right you can do the lot easy. I use a spindle moulder now but did many a rebate with the router.

6. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

Thanks for all the replies, I will be fitting flush fitting bolts to one of the doors and a set of handles for show, with handles and the latch to the other. The bolts are 19mmx150mm... if the rebate is 13mm deep do i just increase this to 19 local to the bolt?

7. chippy chips

chippy chips New Member

No, rebate stays at 13mm. The flush bolts are flush with the back face of the door, the rebate is 90 degrees to them, if you see what I mean? 13mm deep from the edge of the door. Then as I say its 13mm by whatever just over half the thickness of the door is. i.e. if the door is 44mm thick, then the rebate wants to be half that plus a bit, like 22.25-22.5mm. If that makes sense?! Are you fitting rebate kits to take the latches?

8. chippy chips

chippy chips New Member

In fact, are the doors internal? If not you wont really need to rebate them will you?

9. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

The doors are internal and i will be fitting rebated latch kits. I had a rush of poo to the head when i asked about rebating the flush bolts... am i right in saying that they will be recessed into the edge of the door but in the section which isnt rebated if that makes sense, the doors are only 38mm thick so if i rebate just over half way the bolt will be wider than whats left of the door.......... does that make sense or has there been another poo surge

10. chippy chips

chippy chips New Member

It does make sense mate but you want them in the back face of the door rather than the edge. There wont be alot of material either side of the bolt if you put them in the edge. If they're 19mm wide you'd want at least 5mm either side of the bolt, so that's 29mm total, say 30mm, which leaves 8mm of door left for the rebate... not good. And too small then to take the latch.

Put flush bolts on the back face and rebate the doors just over half and half on the edges. Then latch rebate kits will fit a treat. Never seen a flush bolt fitted to the edge of a rebated door, certainly not one 19mm wide. Does that make sense?

11. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

it makes perfect sense thanks again. I just assumed the bolts went in the edge as they will look a bit naff on the face of the door but appeciated there was no material left to put them in! So yet another question, is there a neater way of making one door fixed, but with the option to open?

12. chippy chips

chippy chips New Member

In a word no! It's boiling down to a matter of taste now! I think a well fitted flush bolt looks really nice. Have you had alot of choice? Depends what the decor is, style of door, colour of door etc. etc.
    I fitted some really nice brushed chrome flush bolts not so long ago, looked really nice.

The only thing to could maybe fot is ball catches in the top and bottom edges of the door. They wont hold anywhere near as well though, any breeze and they'd probably blow open!

13. chippy chips

chippy chips New Member

Sorry, I used the words "really nice" loads then! Apologies...

14. chippy chips

chippy chips New Member

sorry again, that first sentence of paragraph 2 should say:

The only thing you could maybe fit... etc.!

15. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

Sorry to drag this back from the dead but Huston we have a problem. The doors arent solid oak and there isnt enough material to allow me a 13mm rebate? A brief recap... the doors are internal, one door will be fixed with flush fit bolts, i can only trim 1/4" from the door edge. Help please

16. cabinet

cabinet New Member

You can still have a 13mm rebate. Once you have cut the rebates apply iron on edging the exposed core. It may be to late know but you could try this method as shown in the drawing

17. Humour Me2

Humour Me2 New Member

Thanks very much cabinet, I know wickes do a convertor or "astragal" i think they call it but not in oak, it hadnt occured to me to do as you suggest, thank you very much. I had actually checked out your site previously after seeing it through your answer to another post and actually tried there before for details on door hanging... looking good. cheers

18. stevie.c

stevie.c New Member

this i my personnel oppinion on rebate doors and ironmongery.
    i always have rebates on internal doors as this helps to reduce draughts,and i think plant on strips are unsightly and amateurish.
    i always fit flush bolts in the face of rebates as ,i think its stronger and also dont want to see the bolt or otherwise you might aswell get a barrel bolt.
    And for ease of fitting, center the flush bolt ,8mm either side isnt great but with care and sharp chisels or a router is do-able.
    also for ease use a tubular latch and rebate convertor ,easy to fit.

19. cabinet

cabinet New Member

Thanks very much cabinet, I know wickes do a
    convertor or "astragal" i think they call it but not
    in oak, it hadnt occured to me to do as you suggest,
    thank you very much. I had actually checked out your
    site previously after seeing it through your answer
    to another post and actually tried there before for
    details on door hanging... looking good. cheers

I will pass on your comments to the team that helps me put these guides together. And I will add a guide to the site regarding the fitting of doors. If you have any further suggestions for guides let me know. ( I will get around to putting contact details on the site this weekend )

Regarding stevie.c comments rand the use of plant on beads. They can look very amateurish, but carried out with care and a little thought can add a decorative feature as well as being functional. That’s why I recommend that a quirk is added to disguises the alterations and in this particular case a parting bead.

I don’t know what other member’s thoughts are on this forum. But I think it is very, very nice when the original poster shows good manners by saying thank you, to the guys and girls who have taken the time and trouble in assisting them in there enquiry.

Old fashioned politeness.

20. cabinet

cabinet New Member

The team and I have produced a guide entitled doors. We haven’t got to fitting the door, but what we have produced so far may be of help.