Rebuild chimney breast

Discussion in 'Job Talk' started by Joe Maxwell, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Joe Maxwell

Joe Maxwell New Member

Just moved into terrace house which has had the chimney breasts removed on the ground floor only, everything is still in place above. Not 100% sure what support is in place but we know that the breast was removed over 10 years ago.

we are looking to get the chimney breasts rebuilt (in front and back room) to meet the breast upstairs, and then eventually get stoves fitted.

Currently really struggling to find anyone willing to do job, tried a number of bricklayers and general building companies in Liverpool area.
    Should I be contacting anyone in particular?

cheers.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

A good one man band bricklayer or general builder with decades of experience would be the best bet. Site bricklayers aren't going to bother with that type of work when they can smash a thousand bricks in a day and earn twice to three times what your job would be worth to them, same goes for a lot of building companies unfortunately. Try asking the stove companies for recommendations as they will have a little black book of blokes they trust.

3. Joshuaojs

Joshuaojs Active Member

That will be quite a job as the original breast will have gone below ground level and had its own foundation the same as the walls of the house.

Building it up off your now ground level then allowing the weight of the stack to be reintroduced although probably wouldn't fall down I'm not sure it's quite the right thing to do

4. Joe Maxwell

Joe Maxwell New Member

What would you recommend we do?

5. Joe Maxwell

Joe Maxwell New Member

Thanks for reply. Yes I’ve spoke to a few bricklayers, not too many interested. One coming later in the week to give a quote. Not too sure the best way forward

6. Joshuaojs

Joshuaojs Active Member

Possibly make sure adequate supports are already in place ( many breasts are removed without any supports put in over the years, or sometimes a piece of wood at most)

A false chimney breast downstairs may be a way forward but youll need some information regarding regulations and if that's allowed which I have no knowledge on sorry