recieving radio 1 through the light switch

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nakedterry, Nov 28, 2005.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Sorry about the subject title but I hope it wont happen!

I am interested in foil insulation.
    Does anyone reckon it is possible to line a very cold wall in my front room with foil (the same stuff they use for space blankets) before putting up wallpaper.

a) Will we slowly bake like a microwave?
    b) Will I receive radio luxembourg through the fillings in my teeth?
    c) Could it actually work, to reflect radiant heat and will the wallpaper stay up???

2. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

I think that you need an air gap one side of the foil for it to work as a radiation barrier/reflector.

You might have problems with mobile phone reception as you are making a Faraday cage. Of course that might be an advantage. I assume that you have a roof mounted tv aerial and not a settop one.

3. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Thanks, M2C1.
    You could be right. Is that why radiator foil is backed with a thin layer of foam?
    As for the Faraday cage - not a bad plan could be the last I see of that damn "Get me out of here" program, but dont worry we have Sky, unfortunately.

4. Kev Cordina

Kev Cordina New Member

Foil is very good at reflecting radiated heat and so works very well where that is the main type of heat - eg reflecting heat radiated from a radiator.

However, it is also a very good conductor of heat.

Foam, on the other hand is the opposite - hence the use of foam back foil - the foil reflects radiated heat, and the foam prevents conduction of heat, so the two together prevent both types of heat transfer.

Kev

5. Neosparks

Neosparks Member

What about dot & dab? I don't think putting foil on the walls directly will be a good base for wallpaper,but you could always try the foil-cacked P/B.

6. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

You are absolutely right. I didnt think in the opposite direction, it would be a conductor also.
    I just had the room replastered so I dont think the missus will be one bit impressed if I go and start sticking up Duplex boards.
    Aw well, it'll be summer soon.

Thanks
    TEL.