Reclaiming (and adjusting) Marble Fireplace

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Nicholas, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Hi,

Looking for advice on a working with Marble. In summary, just bought house and totally broke. Managed to pick-up an old marble fireplace this week, it will look great but it is going to need some work!

I'm looking for advice on the kit required/and basic approach. I'm happy to invest in tools, but hoping I can do with just pads/discs for standard Makita kit.

I need to do three things;

1. Clean and polish: Its been outside for sometime and needs to be cleaned up. Once washed with water, I was thinking of getting some pads to sand, polish and buff up like these. Question, can I get away with using a simple angle grinder? Any issues with this or is there a better approach using orbital sander etc.?

2. Cutting: I need to trim down the legs of the marble - two cuts, hoping I can use a diamond cutter in a circular saw (with water supply). Any advice on what disc get? Will a battery powered saw be meaty enough?

3. Edging: I need to shorten the mantelpiece and will need to put an Ogee edge on it. My feeling is I'll need to pay for this, however can this be done using a router with appropriate cutter?

Apologies for the long post, but hope someone can help!

Cheers,

2. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Hi, any thoughts?!

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Was hoping someone would answer as just using reclaimed marble for bathroom , no posh diamond discs , cut it with stone cutting disc, cut ok but a few chip on cut edge , no worries as I'm intending sanding a radius , not got that far yet , under orders from the wife to insulate and board one of the bedrooms so will be watching your responses

4. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Ha, thanks for the info - just had a quote back from a Marble company, £220 to cut and finish a 1.6m edge, so good to hear you found it ok! I'll be looking at cutters!

5. DIY womble

Did a second piece for a shelf and that cut much cleaner ,not perfect assume the nature of material

6. DIY womble

Didn't spend much time googling as seemed to be suggesting water and diamond blade , I got 100 stone cutting discs at 10p each discount bnq years ago and use them on metal as well

7. CARRcrete

CARRcrete New Member

Sorry I know this is a really old thread, but if any newcomers should stumble across it, here's my advice.

1) I would recommend using either (working dry) a variable speed car polisher set at around 2000 rpm with dry marble pads. If (working wet) then you'll need a dedicated wet polisher (makita doe a pretty cheap one) at around 3500-4500 rpm with a continuous water feed and wet marble pads. I wouldn't use a standard grinder for stone as it's way to fast for the resin pads.

2) Depending on how thick the stone is you maybe okay with a tile cutting wet saw working wet with a continuous rim diamond blade. Failing that use the car polisher (working dry) I mentioned in point one with a smaller 100mm diameter continuous diamond blade.

3) You can get ogee router bits to fit most m14 spindles, so they should also fit on the car polisher too.

NB. I've suggested the car polisher as it's inexpensive around £50 and will work well enough to cut and polish stone for the odd diy project.