Recommend diy angle grinder

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Barra79, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Barra79

Barra79 New Member

Hi,

I would like to get my own angle grinder. Just now I need to cut a hole in asphalt for a gate post and I also need to cut off the excess length of the galvanised hook to bold that is connected to the fence post. I'm looking for something for general diy work.

I'm considering this makita model:

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/makita-ga4530r-720w-4-electric-angle-grinder-240v/5538k

What disks would you recommend I get with it, one for asphalt and one for metal?

Thanks,
    Barry

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I can recommend this one
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/bosch-gws-7-115-720w-4-electric-angle-grinder-240v/6339j

I’ve had mine for years, it’s been through a lot and not missed a beat.

For disks, you would need slitting for the metal and probably diamond for the asphalt, but to be fair I’ve never cut that.
    One thing to remember this is the smaller size, so you won’t get through much more than 40mm before you run out of space.
    Remember eye and ear protection. Potentially full face, if a disk breaks nasty things can happen.

3. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

4. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Absolutely. I have been in a workshop when a grinder disc broke and it is a violent experience. There is a huge amount of energy released and the result is akin to a small explosion, nasty.

5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Never use a grinding disc as a cutting disc, two totally different things!

Seen one explode because it was being used incorrectly and the muppet removed the guard!

6. markus11

markus11 Member

I've got the a similar Makita to what you are looking at but the version with a paddle switch rather than the slide switch. I find it much easier to use and safer. The grinder has been great for me, I've had it about 3 years (just for diy use).
    The model is: Makita GA4534
    Also depending what else your doing you might want a cut-off grinder guard too (enclosed on 2 sides), they are available for £10ish

7. mitefix

mitefix Active Member