Recommend Engineered wood flooring

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Boyyo, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Boyyo

Boyyo Member

Hi All,

I'm looking to lay approx 62sq/m of floor in three ground floor rooms, and looking at 18 or 20 mm thick Oak flooring.

Has anyone any recommendations on what brand / supplier would be OK?

I've looked at the local flooring shed and they have V4 which looked OK, but any others I should consider or be wary of?

Cheers.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

This is like asking a forum what colour you should paint your room!
    How do we know what your tastes are?
    How do we know what your partner's or family's tastes are?

3. Boyyo

Boyyo Member

Thanks for the helpful response...not!

I specifically did not request advice on what 'look' of Engineered floor would be best...that would be a stupid thing to ask, for obvious reasons.

I specifically asked for experience on specific manufacturers and suppliers, I even mentioned a manufacturer I'd seen, and am looking for peoples experiences of manufacturers & suppliers.

Hey...but thanks again anyway :rolleyes:

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

5. Boyyo

Boyyo Member

Thanks SOSPAN...good to know that common sense is out there..:).

I'll check out the links.

Budget is about £35-45 sqm...and looking at 4 or 5 8mm top oak layer.

That said my better half has just thrown Karndean into the equation be ause it's hassle free apparently and looks the same??!

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem,

But there is a world of difference between a real wood floor and others

7. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Jewsons had 3 strip light oak engineered on offer for £19 plus the dreaded. Looks good but only 3-4 mm of actual oak!

8. ChrisEO986

ChrisEO986 New Member

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If SWMBO has thrown maintenance free into the mix, I would think hard about engineered wood. It's great if you really can keep it protected, but it only takes one person to come in with a stone trapped in a shoe tread, or a visitor in high heels and you will get marks because it does dent. We went down this same decision route and in the end went quickstep laminate. It really does look decent - the plank surface is grained in texture as well as appearance and is far, far tougher than engineered wood. https://www.quick-step.co.uk/en-gb/laminate/impressive-ultra/imu1848_classic-oak-natural

10. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I will always go with khars when I can.

11. Usually just use the van.

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

You've had it four years but you wait to dig up a year old thread to wax lyrical. That's a bit random isn't it? It's about how randomly spam is displayed in different supermarkets.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member