Recommend magnetic screwdriver bits

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Saus76, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Saus76

Saus76 New Member

Trying to find screwdriver bits for my drill that are actually magnetic to hold the screw. I got a new set of Bosch thinking they were magnetic but they aren't.

I actually have other bits already at home and none of those are magnetic either. I'd rather someone that knows point me to ones that are definitely magnetic.

Cheers!

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I have never seen a magnetic bit. I use a good quality magnetic bit holder such as Wera or Whia.

BillyBobToo likes this.
  3. Saus76

Saus76 New Member

Oh OK. How do you get the bit to stick to screw?

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

The magnetic field then flows through the bit - making the tip magnetic, temporarily.

Saus76 likes this.
  5. Saus76

Saus76 New Member

OK I'll try that now cheers!

6. FlyByNight

If you have a magnet to hand, from the fridge! Stand a bit on the magnet and then put a screw on the end - that will demonstrate it.

Saus76 likes this.
  7. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

A better quality bit holder will likely have a stronger magnet in it and therefore hopefully hold the screw on the bit a bit better than a cheaper holder. And I prefer the Wiha bits.

8. Nev Hope

Nev Hope Active Member

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Dewalt or wera are great. More slender ones vs the chucky ends for general use. My wera drywall bit is too chunky for general use.

Most screws you use will be PZ2 with the odd PZ1 unless you use drywall screws which are and a PH 2. Using the wrong bit will cause screw to fall off too easy even with magnetic ends.

10. Saus76

Saus76 New Member

OK I tried all mine just now and while the bits go into the magnetic holder and stick to it none hold the screw.

I got this set as a question was specifically asked about them being magnetic
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-mixed-screwdriver-bit-set-32-pieces/6810t

I also have a couple of Erbauer extended buts that don't hold the screws and are kinda useless.

I'm assuming I'm going to cheap to get one that works.

11. Ceebee

Ceebee Active Member

I would recommend these

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stop using Brass and Stainless Steel screws.;)

Saus76 likes this.
  13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Wera kk20 multi function is a great bit of kit as both a screwdriver and a drill bit holder in one. I've got one myself so maybe that will work for you.

14. Saus76

Saus76 New Member

OK so I got a new Wera and dewalt one but I've been doing something stupid because they all work now.

I took the drill out and used the Wera one for the first time and it worked OK. I thought wtf why don't the others work, tried them again and the did work.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Maybe it was the screws? I just bought 1000 drywall and they are impossible to use so bit the bullet and ordered spax

16. FlyByNight

1000 drywall screws - just three hours work! Or at least with a collated-screw driver.

BillyBobToo likes this.