Recommendations for a wireless speaker/soundsystem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by fostyrob, Nov 23, 2017.

1. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

The wife has asked for a wireless speaker / soundsystem for her Xmas and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with different models or had any recommendations.

I was hoping to see if there was anything in the black Friday sales!

The setup would primarily be used in the main living room (7 x 5m with ~3.5m ceilings) for primarily playing music although it would be nice if the TV sound could go through it too (we don't have soundbars etc.). It would be advantageous to be able to play music on our computers/phones over the network as well as spotify etc.

Majority of the house is served via cat6 ethernet cables so I was thinking to put it by the tv and use the wires for added reliability although our wifi coverage is not too bad.

I was leaning towards the sonos play 5 as it covers the majority of our needs and should be big enough for our room. I am unsure if we would buy into the sonos subs/bars etc later as they are eye wateringly expensive but it would be nice to have the potential option if we win the lottery!

What are peoples thoughts?

2. snappyfish

snappyfish Active Member

Whats your budget for Sonos?

3. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I see they are down to about £410 so was hoping for that or less unless there is something that I am yet to find that that is marginally more expensive.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You do know there is no such thing as wireless speakers as they need to be powered from the mains...sonos are quite good but depends on budget and whether you already have source and amps.

snappyfish likes this.
  5. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Battery powered exist and don't have wires...
    But yes it is the lack of a wired input that I am after. The wired power cord I can live with. I am after one that can connect to our home network and be controlled in wireless fashion.

The budget would stretch to the sonos play 5. We both have spotify (non-paid version) on our phones in addition to a wealth of music on our computers (mix of mp3 and avi files in addition to itunes) so looking for something that can tap into this either via wifi or ethernet cable. We don't have amps etc but with the majority of these speakers you do not need one do you?