Recommendations for tile cutter

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Truckcab79, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Looking for recommendations for a tile cutter. Thought I’d start a separate thread now that I’ve been advised away from a wet saw.

@JimTiler has pointed me toward Sigma 3c3m. Excellent reviews. I’m assuming it’s an older cutter as it seems less generally available, out of stock on Protiler and eBay reviews are all from 2017 or earlier. Topps don’t carry it as far as I can see.

I get trade discount at Topps. Thats not a deal-breaker but am confused by the selection. Loads of Sigma. Push, Pull, some that do both. Prices vary enormously but specs on most in terms of max cut etc are similar.

I’m an occasional tiler. Maybe 4-6 jobs a year max. Unlikely to do large format but would think that I should have something to cut 600mm at least.

Anyone care to recommend from Topps current range? Sigma seems to be the popular choice though I’ve also been recommended and like the look of the specs and price on the Montolit. (Which Topps dont stock. Reviews are excellent but Sigma still seems to be preferred.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've got a Rubi for the very occasional time I tile on a job, but I hear the Big Clinker cutters are pretty good too.

3. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

Looks like Sigma are introducing the Series 4 for 2022 and companies are awaiting stock but Protiler are selling the 3c3m Max through their EBay store, says more than 10 in stock.

Montolit 75p3 will be a great cutter too, not as many reviews due to them not selling as many as Sigma or Rubi here, but I know many top tilers use these.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  4. Truckcab79

Don’t confuse me even more. :D

5. Truckcab79

Yeah . Looks very well spec’s for the price.

I’m sure I wouldn’t notice whether the sigma was made yesterday or twenty years ago to be honest just slightly put off that I’ll only be buying this once so buying what’s still being billed as a 2017 model seems odd.

The Montolit seems very good value.

6. Truckcab79

If anything I’m erring toward the Montolit. Under £300 for a bigger, lighter cutter. Can’t find a poor review of one. Common sense says I should go and try them all first but to be honest anything I buy I’m going to have it learn how to use to get the best out of it so that doesn’t really concern me. I very much doubt I would appreciate the difference.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. ejenner

ejenner Active Member

I always use an angle grinder with a diamond disk on it. Done a fair few tiling jobs like that but I do everything and not just tiling so not a professional tiler. There's some amazing videos on YouTube of people using cutters and nippers to shape tiles really quickly and precisely.

8. Truckcab79

Probably similar to me. A lot of my work is landscaping. Patios etc but I also design and build custom pergolas, wood-fired ovens, garden furniture, and install kitchens and bathrooms. Anything I get asked to do really.

Most importantly I can always find an excuse to buy new tools……and I’ve got several grinders already. :D

From the feedback on my wet saw thread grinder and diamond disc is definitely the way to go on bigger and more intricate stuff.

9. Truckcab79

Well, £300 later and my Montolit is winging its way to me from ProTiler. Best price I could find and try as I might I couldn’t find a promo code anywhere. Still, seems like a good price for what it is. Reviews are all great. Cheaper and lighter than the equivalent Sigma. Just need to smear some tile adhesive all over it so I don’t look like a total newbie. :D

Jord86, JimTiler, CGN and 1 other person like this.
  10. Truckcab79

Arrived today. What a beautiful bit of kit. Just opening the box and looking at it has already made me 14% better at tiling. :D

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I tried one out a few years back as I wasn’t happy with my Rubi on large format tiles. Great cutters...very impressed.

Guy in the store did a few tweaks on my old cutter though and it’s done the job since but def on the list.

Montolit do some good tile cutting discs for the angle grinder too.

Truckcab79 likes this.
  12. Truckcab79

Got my first tile cutting job with the new Montolit. Some 600mm / 10mm porcelain floor tiles then a load of 8mm diamond shaped ceramics for the wall.

I spent £40 on sample porcelain tiles to have a practice. Cuts effortlessly using the wheel it was supplied with.

Bought a 245T titanium wheel specifically for porcelain. Arrived today and the packaging says 245T but not stamped anywhere on the wheel. It’s gold in colour. Originals one looks identical. Anyone know if I’ve just replaced one with the identical item. Does it matter?

And is it the case that the titanium will cut ceramic as well as it’s cuts porcelain or should I change wheels between materials?

If I’ve ended up with two 245T’s then I don’t actually have a 245 as I ordered one as a spare but protiler we’re out of stock.

13. Truckcab79

Still loving this cutter. Seen quite a bit of use and about to start another bathroom job. It’s also been well used by a couple of mates of mine as it’s so much nicer than their kit.

All of us have commented that the handle/guide is quite stiff when you push it along the rails. Is there any way to adjust this? Needs a very firm touch to use it. Maybe it’s deliberate?

14. Truckcab79

No answers but having had time to look properly myself there’s a very clear adjuster block on the side. All sorted.

CGN likes this.