Recommended Consumer Units

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by wb1627, Aug 6, 2012.

1. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Hi all, I've got to do some alterations to a lighting and ring circuit (building an extension) and BCO states that I have a problem with the CU. Basically, the current CU is a sSteeple 10 way split, with all of the ring mains on the RCD (there are 4 ring mains, kitchen, extension, upstairs and downstairs). I will be adding to the kitchen ring. I am also adding to the lighting circuit, this currently isn't protected by a RCD so BCO wants me to either fit an RCBO or replace the CU with a split baord and two RCD's. If I go for a CU replacement, are there any makes to avoid?

Thanks

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Steeple brand is supplied by Denmans. Cheapest option would be to fit an RCBO in place of the mcb on your Steeple board.

3. wally

wally Screwfix Select

If only it was that simple un.  Unfortuantly onthe earlier boards the makers did not think ahead as most  most (not all) did not make the enclosure high enough to accept the taller 1 module  RCBOs.   I think some of them did 2 module RCDBs but that was alright if there is some spare ways.    It would really make life a lot easier if everyone had modern boards but thats never going to happen.  I did come across an old MK consumer unit a while back, the hard plastic type enclosure which I fitted 1 module RCBOs in.

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I agree, Wal. However, the latest copy of Connector lists RCBOs for Steeple boards at £18.88 a throw (plus VAT) so it might be worth the OP getting one and seeing if it would fit. If its only the one he is fitting there should be sufficient room I would think, subject to height restraints. :)

5. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

So any recommendations as to which CU board to buy / avoid?

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

To be honest, wb, all fuseboards these days are pretty much on a par. Pricier brands are MK, Hager, Wylex, Crabtree. Some of the cheaper brands are getting good reviews such as BG (available from our hosts) and Denmans Curve. My choice at the moment is Denmans Curve with RCBOs on all circuits.

7. wally

wally Screwfix Select

As un says, they are all much the same.   They also have the same flaws.   All domestic  enclosures seem to go through the same plastic thickness machine, cant get much thinner plastc than a modern consumer unit.   All man switches in consumer units seem to have forgotton good enginnering practices, they should have never used the clamp type  treminal when 16mm or 25mm tails are used (ideal for flexible but not for tails).   Im sure there will be issues here in the long term.  

8. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Thanks Lucy,

I'm replacing / extending the lighting circuit and the ring main in the kitchen so have to make some changes. One bank of MCB's aren't protected by an RCD but all of the ring mains are. So, I re4ckon the best option is to replace the CU board to uprgade to two RCD's which will be better for me if I do more work in the future (that's until the bl**dy regs change again:) )

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Or you could put some rcbo's in the non-rcd side of the existing board if they're available.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Hi Lucy, i'm fine thanks how are things with you?

11. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

I haven't decided yet, current CU is STEEPLE so need to find whether an RCBO is available. The question also was which CU's to fit / avoid. Any advice?

thanks

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I've been using Pro-Elec from cpc for several years with no problems at all, my local wholesalers have recently started selling Europa ones which are very similar and i've fitted about a half dozen of those this year, again without problems. I think most of the problems that people have are due to poor installation methods, poorly tightened terminals etc.

13. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

Thanks. What is the difference between a high integrity dual RCD unit and a dual RCD unit to comply with 17th edition?

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

High integrity board will have a couple of non rcd protected outlets in addition to the two rcd's. These could be used for rcbo's or for circuits that don't need rcd protection.

15. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi. Some dual RCD fuseboards are acually divided in to three compartments. Two of the compartments will be the dual RCD section and the third is a non-RCD section comprising usually of one, two or three ways where circuits can be connected without RCD protection. As I understand it this is what is known as the high integrity fuseboard. That is the only difference between the two. As far as 17th edition is concerned both types comply, it is down to the designer/ installer to determine how the circuits should be protected and which board is more appropriate. The non-RCD section can be useful if a problem circuit is causing the RCD to trip, when it can be used as a temporary reprieve whilst the fault is located.

16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Beat me to it, sen. ;)

17. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

18. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

LD, re wylex..... Avoid or recommended?

19. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

It's what I use out of habbit and it suits me fine, it is priced well for the populated deals, MK has more room if that's required.

20. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You like just paying for a name then Lokks?