Recommended House Burglar Alarm

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rossm, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Rossm

Rossm Member

Hello,

I have recently moved into a house that has a wired house alarm fitted which is around 15 years old.

The panel and sounder bell is in pretty poor condition and the alarm volume isn't too great.

I am going to replace them both with a more modern option. There are a few P.I.R's, door contacts and vibration sensors in the panel.

Can anyone recommend a good combined Panel and keypad and a External bell with a strobe.

Thanks

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

By combined do you mean like this

[​IMG]

Its the done thing now to have the key pad remote from the actual panel itself but iff all your cabling goes to one point then I suppose you are stuck.

In any event the Honeywell or Texacom panels are fine for everyday use.

3. Rossm

Rossm Member

Yes, this is what I mean by combined.

Thanks for your help

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

A dog beats all, all house alarms I have ever worked on are complete rubbish, always go wrong, flimsy and poor PC boards with dry joints. . .

s.murphy likes this.
  5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Unfortunately a dog is not recognised as a suitable intruder alarm system in the insurance companies eyes:rolleyes:

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Bummer!

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Geese are pretty good to. Make a right mess out of your garden though.

8. andye

andye New Member

Forget insurance companies because say your premium is £200 well to get the insurance discount you must have a maintenance contract with a registered company that will cost you £180-£250 a year then you will get a £20 discount on your premium and there is a catch ie if you do not set your system Everytime you leave the property and you get broken into when you do not set the system then any claim will be null invoid .

So yes get an alarm because it moves crime next door forget the £20 discount and save yourself £180-£250 a year and you can set your system when it suits you.

Why ? Human nature gets out of the habit of setting their system and insurance companies and thieves know this plus since the crash insurance companies are more proactive by rejecting claims because you did not comply with the terms of the policy. So if you are getting insurance discount but do not have a maintenance contract then basically your policy is worthless and if you think this is all nonsense then call your insurance company and they will say "This may affect any claim you make" thats company speak for no chance your getting a penny from us

Read my blog @ http://www.electrician-edinburgh.co.uk/blog/

9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

A screamer that wakes up most of the neighbourhood. Works for us.
    Theives hate noise. It disorientates them.

s.murphy likes this.
  10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

And local people we find don't mind when it goes off in the middle of the night wakening them up. Because at the end of the day people know it deters thieving scumbags from that area.

11. proby

proby Active Member

Been looking at alarms just lately the wireless type, don't want the wires everywhere. Was thinking Yale mainly on the name and reviews so was looking at screwfix. Bit shocked to see the one I was looking at was £100 dearer in screwfix than Argos. I did ask screwfix why but they e mailed me saying my question was unsuitable no explanations wtf. Anybody got any recommendations on wireless alarms or got one fitted.

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Texecom ricochet, or any other decent two way system tbh.
    You get what you pay for.

TP&N likes this.
  13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's the one I've recently fitted in my house, working fine although it was a bugger to program!

14. camels toe

camels toe Member

Yale easy fit 2. Installed a few of these and they are easy to fit easy to use and all round good. Years ago I got talking to an alarm company and was looking at a top of the range alarm (wireless) and he said they all do the same thing at the end of the day. All you want is a loud noise and that's it.

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

No they do not all do the same thing.
    Two way means the devices actually communicate with the panel, and visa versa, less prone to jamming, interference and nuisance activations, to name a few.
    You only require an intruder system to false alarm a couple of times before neighbours etc start to disregard acting on it.
    There are a multitude of reasons why a decent systems far outweighs a cheap one in every way.
    Which is why alarm companies install pro kit and DIYers install Yale.

16. peter palmer

Agree with the false alarms, my neigbour said don't worry if my alarm goes off the dog has learned how to open the door. The mind boggles.

17. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Texecom - www.texe.com Some of the best on the market. They do wired or wireless, keypad integral in panel or separate, expandable, compatible with most sensors, fully configurable, can support several sounders with appropriate expansion to give you sounders at front and rear (no dummy boxes). Tech support is great even during install.

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I agree about the Tech. support, they helped me out several times when I was commissioning my system, always very helpful and patient. I think the manual could be more user friendly though, loads of info. there but not enough of the basic stuff for the initial setting-up.

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Tex technical are good, to good in the eyes of certain professional companies who install as a business, for obvious reasons.

20. peter palmer

Texecom support are usually really good, however the last time I rang them, something to do with an expander set up or something, I ended up telling him to **** off and I would figure it out myself, right condescending little **** he was.