Recommended way to flash a metal roof to a wall?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jmc2000, Dec 11, 2017.

1. jmc2000

jmc2000 Member

Hi everyone

I'm a DIYer replacing the bitumen roof on my garage with a box profile metal one. I'm in two minds whether to flash the roof to the wall using just flashing such as this:

NO NONSENSE FLASHING TAPE GREY 150MM X 10M
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-flashing-tape-grey-150mm-x-10m/25426

Or to use angled 150x150mm metal sheet, fixing it down on the metal roof using stitching screws and then flashing it against the wall using flashing tape. The main problem with this, as I see, is getting the angle of the abutment sheet correct: 105 degrees for my 15 degree pitch roof. Otherwise it may not end up flush against the wall making the whole exercise pretty pointless.

What method do you guys use?

Cheers,

JMc

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Surprised they don't offer a Apron Roof Flashing as below,the top edge against wall would be covered with a lead flashing.

upload_2017-12-11_23-52-11.jpeg

[​IMG]

This is other way it can be do done,the white clading would usually be a lead flashing, just couldn't find a image with it.

[​IMG]

3. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

you could go to a metal fabricators and get them to produce the 150 x 150 angle with a 105 degree bend

4. jmc2000

jmc2000 Member

There's a great video from Union Corrugating on the various ways to to flash box profile to an end wall:

The crucial bit for me is using foam filler between the flat horizontal underside of the flashing and the box profile, to keep out rain that might otherwise be blown inside towards the wall. In addition, they recommend screwing the flashing to the wall, which seems to be the only effective way of getting a good seal. But I reckon sealing the end of the vertical metal surface to the wall using flashing tape should still work pretty well.

The other quick, cowboyish alternative is to use flashing tape to seal the box profile against the wall, eliminating the need for the foam filler, and then to flash this against the wall using another strip of flashing running up the wall.

I think I'll go for using 105 degree angled metal flashing stitched to the metal sheet, sealed using foam filler, the vertical end flashed against the wall using flashing tape.

Cheers,

JMc

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not cowboyish if done well. Once you've followed the profile (snipping tops and troughs to allow it to bend and fit the wall too), creating an upstand against the wall and a seal against the roofing. Then your overlap piece can easily be placed, shaped (castellated?) with a sharp blade to fit flat against the wall, covering your snipped upstand. Neat job?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really