Refusing to connect Hot Tub

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sams, Nov 25, 2017.

1. sams

sams Member

Was asked to install power in preparation for a hot tub company to install hot tub and make final connections

Specifications from hot tub company are

20A supply required

allowance for inrush current 25A

6mm cable required

I only saw the spec after i did the installation and was told by the client that a 32A supply was required

So i installed 4mm T/E to isolator . Hot tub company came along and said they will not connect as the cable should be 6mm. As far as i am aware 4mm clipped direct is good for 32A

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Strange tbqh - maybe its something to do with using a type c mcb and 6mm would only allow the correct Zs (Zs within tabulated values) with use of said?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  3. sams

sams Member

Zs is well within limits even for type C ( 0.22)

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cant think of anything else sams - hope it gets sorted m8

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

How long a run is it ? Strange asking for 20a supply on 6mm

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Why should Zs be an issue if you are protecting with a 30mA RCD, a 20A supply will only be capable of powering a 4 kW heater and a motor it's going to take a long time to heat up. Hot tub installations should be treated as swimming pools for earthing and shock protection methods. If the voltage drop calc is OK then the cable should be fine, unless they are concerned over cable heating on short circuit.

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You said in your op that the hot tub company specified a 20A circuit so why are they now asking for a 32A circuit? This silly game of "we won't connect it" is laughable.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

bell[1] (1).png Dunno Bob - never cabled a hot tub so just guessing and stuff. After reading up a tad it does seem like 6mm is the norm - why? I haven't got a clue. It seems that a dedicated circut is imperative (so no jacking off the rf and stuff) Dont know nowt else apart from rcd protection is required and imperative, also of course a rotary isolator fitted more then 2 mtrs away from tub which is logical anyway tbqh.. xmascheers[1].gif

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Hi JP, I have never fitted one either but I am aware of the regs for swimming pools. It is a similar installation but in miniature, wet people, outside the equipotential zone, un supervised. Seems like all of the bad stuff in one go.

10. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Had a similar one a few years ago. Client required a supply for a sunbed. Asked for spec for sunbed and was reliably informed the model to be installed could be connected to single phase supply. Installers arrive with sunbed and ask where the 3P supply is? Needless to say they returned once the correct supply and isolator was installed.
    Moral - check with the equipment supplier what the client is actually needing.

11. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Hot tubs!

Every one I have fitted, they switch it on, use it, first bill drops on the door mat, its turned off again

Cost a FORTUNE to run, unless you have PV on the roof to Offset the cost,leave them on Ebay

Well chavvy IMO

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

My next door neighbour asked if I was having a hot tub installed in the garden (gawd knows why), she is rather chavvy!!

13. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Never likes tubs... too many chemicals.
    Various downsides.
    costs, Chemical reactions, hot tub lung, Red eye, folliculitis, thrush and Legionnaire's Disease !
    Useless fad.
    RS

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And Herpes,MRSA, Cryptosporidium (chlorine-tolerant, so takes days to die) & several thousand other germs that cause disease.

Also affects swiming pools as well.

15. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Moral of the story...never share a hot tub with someone that has herpes!

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur 100% RS.

retiredsparks likes this.
  17. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Didn't like to mention those....plus....there is nothing worse than a hot tub..... on a dimmer !!:p
    RS

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That would include cold sores, that are not active, so you would simply not know.

19. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Most people will have come into contact with herpes at one time or another (HSV1). Genital herpes (more commonly HSV2) is less common in the general population. I would hope that people sharing my own hot tub did not have genital herpes.

Best advice- don't go in hot tubs unless heavily chlorinated and/or you know the sexual history of all it's occupants.

20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You miss the point and showing your ignorance, herpes is dormant the majority of the time and is not contagious unless its active. And even if it is active, you can't catch it in a swimming pool or hot tub.

fostyrob likes this.