Regs on log burner in extension

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rodduz, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Rodduz

Rodduz Member

Hi, wondering what regs are for the flue of a log burner placed in a single storey extension at the rear most part of the extension, 4 metres back from the main house?
    Thanks

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Needs installed by someone who can sign it off. Hetas for ppl

3. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

No, anyone can install any type of solid fuel appliance but you would need to apply to B Control if not using an installer covered by a self cert scheme.
    Difficult to give any specific advice on such limited details, take a look at the approved doc
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...ds/attachment_data/file/468872/ADJ_LOCKED.pdf

jonathanc likes this.
  4. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

@Frutbunn i absolutely agree. Also need to comply with permitted development rules for flues. They should at a guess, not be an issue but could be. Mainly if the building has a low roof ( original building that is) and you need minimum 4m on the flue taking you too far about roofline

5. Mattio

Mattio New Member

I fitted one myself few years ago and informed building control, inspector came out before I'd started to see what I was wanting to achieve, there is copious amounts of information on the tinternet.
    Anything above 5kw requires vents to outside!!
    I kept mine at 5kw, there was already a chimney in the house but I still fitted a liner to ensure no fume leakage. Inspector came out couple of times before completing the job and then signed it off saving myself 2.5k
    Hope this helps a bit.

6. Rodduz

Rodduz Member

What additional details can I provide? Can't really see anything in that document that tells me what I need to know.

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

you asked what the regs are and the link is a copy of them. What do you need to know?

8. Rodduz

Rodduz Member

Only really interested in how high above the single storey extension it needs to go? If ita up to height of original roof then it's a mo go from start so won't bother eifh the rest?

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

That depends on your proposed log burner but see 2.8 to 2.12 in the regs

it is possible (rare) to get short flue burners too, I remember one that would work with 2m

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2021
  10. Rick1632

Rick1632 Active Member

If you're located anywhere remotely built up, i.e. have neighbours, I'd hesitate before installing a log burner now.
    The noise is just beginning, but they're the new diesel and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they're banned within 10 years.

11. Rodduz

Rodduz Member

Thanks. I've had a read, im not really sure what, "at least 2300mm horizontally from the nearest point on the weather surface" means?