Reinforcing where a wallplug pulled out?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Mar 16, 2016.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hello guys,

I've a repair to do at #1 son's place.

The screws that held up a curtain pole have pulled out and left a few conical holes in the wall. I'm sure you are all familiar with this, a screw pulls out and leaves a large ragged hole.

I'm refitting at the weekend. I can drill deeper holes and use longer screws, but the holes near the wall surface are now conical, so they will not support the screws very well. The screw may bend if it not supported close to the wall's surface.

What can I use to fill and reinforce for the new longer wall plugs? I'm thinking some epoxy for its strength.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, Steve

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Never used that looks pretty good Tea break.

I have this problem daily. I now use the plaster board fixing which bend to form a butter fly trapping the fixings. Can't remember the name as you screw they bend.

I have used these in the past and thought what garbage. Until I used them with the setting tool. Hasn't failed me yet.

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Makes sure you use the setting tool otherwise they are garbage.

Also in the past I have got a nice piece of 4x1 plained. Grip filled and fixed then curtain pole on top that. Adds a nice finish, more work tho and cost.

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've got about 5 packs of Wet'n Fix,but I must admit that I have never used them. They were in a £3 lucky dip box that I picked up at the Yeovil Screwfix years ago. There was some good gear in there as well.....Anyone want a vacant/occupied toilet door indicator? LOL

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Find some wood dowels big enough, drill the hole that size(say 20mm depth) and whack it in with some glue. Drill through it(wood bit first) but into the wall for fixing.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands likes this.
  8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Is it plaster board?

If it is masonry solid wall I'd probably try longer screws. Also maybe use more wall plugs whichI have got a way with that in the past.

Say if one is spinning just hammer another in. Obviously depend how big the hole is

If that don't work Andys idea is good never tried it myself.

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Back in "Jurassic" times Handy's idea was standard practice, cut a wooden plug and wack it in hard, many old cast iron stacks are held this way. Still works!;)

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You don't even need a dowel, whittle a bit of wood into a taper and whack it in.

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

wallplugs loose, gripfill, leave to set, put screw in jobs a goodun

12. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Wet N Fix. was bought this afternoon :)

13. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Drilled deeper holes and used Wet n Fix, then left it a while as another job was being done and fixed cutain pole brackets with thicker and longer screws.

Holding up a treat.

Thanks for the advice :)

Steve

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks for the update!:)

15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Nice one tea break looks like a great solution to a daily ball ache!

16. Scotslad2k

Scotslad2k New Member

I was wondering a similar issue. My sons shelf under his TV has come away from the wall. Seems the hole is between bricks so into the mortar. Due to the type of fixing, I can't change the hole location so I was wondering if I could inject the hole with hot glue then hammer in the wall plug before the glue sets. Then refix the bolt that holds that side. A deeper hole would make no difference and can't use a larger bolt due to the bracket type and size. Do you think this would work?

17. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I would guess that hot glue would not be that good for this. a) I think it would cool too quickly due to the mass and thermal properties of the wall and b) the hot glue would get coated in sand/mortar bits and not hold.

teabreak likes this.