Reinstate fireplace

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nakedterry, Sep 8, 2008.

1. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

I am going to get a fireplace reinstated. Currently there is a fire brick, insulated behind with vermiculite. There are CH pipes there, which I also hope to get checked out and reinstated.
    However, I want a cast iron fireplace, can these be used in conjunction with SFCH?
    Would vermiculite be used behind it again?

2. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Anyone?

3. sootylum

sootylum New Member

What your describing is a back boiler for a solid fuel fire.To operate efficiently there should be a damper in the throat, ( flat piece of cast iron that slides back and forwards), when its pulled forward flames and heat are allowed to pass up a gap behind the boiler then up into the flue this way the boiler is heated from front and back. Its ESSENTIAL that you have the boiler checked because if its been capped or sealed and you light a fire it will explode and take your wall with it.
    If the fire brick is in good condition their is no reason why you cant get a cast iron insert or fireplace as long as it is fitted properly. Vermiculate and cement mix is used to infill spaces behind fires and inserts as you don't want any voids for the smoke to swirl around in, it also helps direct heat into the room. First step is to have your chimney swept and tested by a professional sweep.Go to The National Association of Chimney Sweeps web site to find a sweep in your area he or she should also be able to point you in the direction of a competent fire fitter.

4. nakedterry

nakedterry New Member

Thanks for that. I actually meant that I wanted to use a cast iron back too but I understand what you meant.

Thanks.