Rejecting a new patio.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Daniel P, Jun 19, 2019.

?

Withhold payment/reject work?

1. Yes, reject.

2. No, it's fine.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Just had a patio "half" installed by some contractors. Due to issues with their measurements, we have to wait for more materials to arrive. The patio caught my eye earlier as I thought it looked a bit out of level, and so have just gone to check it.

I have pictures attached, and am considering witholding payment for this part of the work unless it is rectified. Just wanted to get other people's opinions before I do anything drastic.

Just for reference, the garden slopes from left to right at about a rate of 1-2mm per meter, so basically level, and slopes away from the house at about 5-10mm per meter.
    The overall drop on the laid patio seems acceptable, however is not uniform and has resulted in dips and raised portions which concerns me with regards to flooding.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Diyloser

Diyloser Active Member

They were quite good over the whole length according to the bubble, just forgot the bit in the middle :).
    Is it acceptable, well i wouldn't except it on one of my jobs.
    The nature of the slabs will cause some dipping and raised areas but this is across numerous slabs so should be better.

The fall away from the house is too shallow if as you said above, it should be nearer 50mm in 3 metres to get a good flow away.

3. ramseyman

ramseyman Active Member

Sadly you will definitely end up with puddles/ponding, depends if you're prepared to put up with it, I wouldn't be. Presumably they still have grouting to do, if you let them do that a hose over the area once that's done will immediately show the issues. Best to get them relaid to a constant fall now.

4. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Member

You’ll end up with a big puddle in the middle - just have a chat with them about your concerns.

5. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Thanks guys. They're due back tomorrow, so I'll explain my concerns. Hopefully they'll take it on the chin and redo them.

6. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

redo or regret

7. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Errrr, that is poor, there is nothing right about that.

8. masterdiy

masterdiy Active Member

Is that Your level & decking board?

If so, show the guys in the morning & ask if they want to borrow it.

Ps. That is terrible. :eek:

9. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

I left it out for them to use

10. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

If you are loaning these fella's your tools surely that should have told you something!

masterdiy likes this.
  11. koolpc

koolpc Well-Known Member

Very poor work indeed

12. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

I was kidding about lending my tools :D

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Plenty of rain across most parts of the country, should be plenty of pooling water ready for the guys to see in the morning

How are they gonna argue with this watery evidence

Plus leave the level / timber across the worst dips with the complete edition of Encyclopaedia Brittanica in the gap as a visual reference

Good luck with this issue

14. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

Just a little update to this issue.
    A large portion of the patio ended up being redone, and the builders blamed it on the slabs 'sinking' overnight, which I am fully aware is BS.
    The patio is still not perfect, but it is acceptable and doesn't pool, so we paid and left it at that.

Now however, my neighbour decided she wants to have her fence done, and has had it pulled down. Her builder will now not put a new fence up, as he says the work on my side is unsafe and likely to collapse. He has said that my patio and decking will need to be ripped up and all redone safely.

There's a picture of under my decking, and her side of the fence attached. You can see the subbase just seeping out under the fence. Does this require a retaining wall? I'd like to contact my builder armed with actual knowledge instead of guesswork.

Beginning to wish I'd done the lot myself.

Attached Files:

15. Daniel P

Daniel P Member

I just noticed from my own pictures that they've even joined the fence kickboards in-between two posts, instead of at the post. Surely this is also wrong?

16. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

There is a large screw sticking through the timber towards your neighbours side (in last photo) and it could be dangerous, especially for a child or anyone to fall against or touch.
    I also see kids footballs etc, so obviously risky.
    The modern screws are self cutting and are lethal sharp.
    Could be more screws.
    Best to get them cut flush now
    Cowboy job

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Complete cowboy job.

18. Ton Tigs

Ton Tigs New Member

Very poor workmanship!

19. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

There shouldn't necessarily be sub base under a decking supported by posts, what you have there is some rubble and debris from some other work.

The concern is that the fence that is there may be too "heavy" for the length of posts. It would be quite an easy solution to fit another post in the ground next to the current ones and fix them together they can be either concrete or timber. Your neighbour can then fix her fence to these but If there is a fence there already why put a second up ?

In terms of the screws sticking out, just tap them with a hammer so they bend over, most will just snap off.

The decking hasn't been put together in the best way, probably won't last as long as it should but doesn't warrant ripping up and starting again.

If you have some more pictures it would help to see if there are any more issues

20. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Does it require a retaining wall? I’d say so, if it was going to be done properly, but I’d say that you have been properly done.

Good luck getting them back.