Relaxing central heating boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Befair, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Befair

Befair Member

Finally MUST replace trusty Baxi Bermuda back book circa 1997.
    Size 675 W. It is a one bedroom flat. What size modern boiler should I get ? Must be reliable. Any makes to avoid ? I know there are a multitude of variables but any approx price range for fitting ? Any help appreciated.

2. Befair

Befair Member

Auto correct should have been checked. Obviously should be replacing ! Nothing relaxed

3. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

You looking for a combi or a system boiler?

4. Befair

Befair Member

I've been told a combo. As I've previously posted I am ignorant about most practical things. I'll have to Google to find out differences

5. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

You shouldn’t be told what will be fitted.
    You decide what you want.
    Pros and cons with combis

Befair likes this.
  6. Befair

Befair Member

Thanks Mike. I will decide but leaning towards Combi.

7. MGW

MGW Well-Known Member

I don't think you can get gas back boilers any more, I think under new condensing efficiency standards, back boilers no longer meet a minimum efficiency. So step one is work out where a new boiler will fit.

The back boiler had a very low output, not enough to get a reasonable flow to fill a bath, so it had to have a hot water tank, the combination boilers get rid of the water tank, and with smaller properties it means less loses as water only heated when required, but it means only one method of heating water, with a hot water cylinder you can have electric immersion heater for summer use.

In the main it is the pipe sizes which cause a problem, the combi hot water is at mains pressure so 15 mm is ample, but from a water tank often larger pipes are used, if left in then there is both a delay in boiler heating water and a delay water getting to taps, so it may need a lot of plumbing to get a reasonable speed of hot water arriving.

I would say with new build no question combi is best, but to graft it into an existing system it could be just too much disruption, system boilers allow you to use multi fuel, but would not expect to see solar panels on a flat.

However it is not some thing you will work out on a forum, it also depends where you live, in mid Wales where I live there are not that many central heating guys who work with gas, and you want to get it repaired if it goes wrong, so if the local guy is a XYZ agent then better with a XYZ boiler even if not really the best.

So select a central heating guy, and get him to say what would suit. Silly things can really make a difference, my parents had a power shower in their wet room, this had to go when combi was fitted, because new boiler was in the kitchen where most hot water is used, it worked well, very little delay, however this house the hot water in kitchen is useless, OK in bathroom, but too long of a run to kitchen. We can't see that in a forum.

Befair likes this.
  8. Befair

Befair Member

Thanks for a detailed and clear response. I appreciate your time and trouble. My ignorance is decreasing !

9. Befair

Befair Member

Does a system boiler need to be vented through an outside wall like a combi. We have a cellar, might it be possible to site the boiler here and run pipes up.

10. Befair

Befair Member

Does a system boiler to replace back boiler involve less labour, upheaval than a combo boiler ? Thinking of tanks etc.

11. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Exact same as a combi.

12. Befair

Befair Member

Thanks

13. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

Yes.
    But not that much.
    It won’t cost much more.
    You just need to decide if a combi is for you.
    For most it’s the easy but not correct option.

14. Befair

Befair Member

Thanks

15. Baxi Boy

Baxi Boy Active Member

If you have a conventional system with a tank and back up immersion heater you will get hot water if the boiler breaks down,but if a combi breaks down you get nothing!

16. Befair

Befair Member

Thanks. Quite a few things to think about. I'll get quotes from 3 engineers for both and discuss options with th

Baxi Boy likes this.
  17. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Baxi didn't make a back boiler that small!! Can you provide the actual model number or, better still, the GC number?

18. Befair

Befair Member

My wife pointed that out to me. !! I was relating that to its size, wrong.

The info I can find is CAT 2TN. BG Approved 44 077 46.

Also careless with age should be 1977. They don't build them like it anymore.

If I could locate new pilot burner could keep it going. But can't find anywhere for antique boiler parts.

19. Mike83

Mike83 Well-Known Member

It’s unusual for the pilot burner to be at fault.
    Usually the injector just needs cleaned.

The Teach likes this.
  20. Befair

Befair Member

Thanks. Even a boiler this old ? Would prefer to keep but concerned that might still have to replace.
    Spent over 100 pounds on a service 3 weeks ago , only feedback everything working well but can't get parts. What about a new boiler ? Problems then started.
    Oh for a crystal ball.