Relay porcelain slabs?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Sunil237, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Sunil237

Sunil237 New Member

Hired a contractor for a full garden and drive job including laying porcelain slabs, not too happy with their cuts on the borders and wanted to get some opinions to see if I am being too picky and if grout will conceal the problem
    IMG-20210428-WA0017.jpg IMG-20210428-WA0017.jpg IMG-20210428-WA0016.jpg

Is it reasonable to request these removed and new ones cut?
    I paid for the slabs so it's just the time for the contractor

Also while I'm asking! Is it better to use easygrout (slurry) or geofix?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Grout won’t hide the fact that the tiles have either been laid on the slant or cut on the slant - either way, they’re not laid square to the border blocks

Depending on grout colour, could even highlight this fact

Amazing that the person/s laying the tiles didn’t notice after the first couple tiles and made adjustments

Is the issue just along this edge or other areas also

These porcelain patios sure are getting popular and I’ve noticed on my local social media community forum loads of people asking for recommendations for contractors to quote for these

They get replies from every Tom, Dick and Harry who claim to lay these patios - I can only imagine many, many disappointed customers like yourself

You wouldn’t accept this if this was tiling to your bathroom or kitchen so what’s the difference ?

Time for a chat with the contractor me thinks

Out of interest - fully paid up or balance left to settle ?

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Whilst not perfect, it's certainly not the end of the world, the rest of it looks to be a decent job. They haven't cut those edges by the looks, it appears they've set out the slabs from the pavier border which is very slightly out of square.
    If you try to take them up it's very probable they will not go back down as well as they have (putting the edge to the side) and you risk the contractor buggering the edge up by trying to cut a tiny sliver off. I would be inclined to grout it, leave it and live in peace with it.

CGN likes this.
  4. Sunil237

Sunil237 New Member

@DIYDave.
    Zero paid although we did buy the slabs as he couldn't source them, the work is 90% complete and we've agreed to pay 50% this week, rest when we are completely happy - although the contractor is very pushy and i can imagine him being a complete tool once grout goes down

Because of the chips on edges and some of the bad lines we are going with Geofix mid grey to hide the imperfections - a fairly close match to the slab colour I hope!

@Jord86
    The whole slabs look decent, and majority of the cuts look ok. I had a look again and noticed 2 corner pieces where I can actually fit a finger into the gap! as these pieces are fairly small I'm really inclined to request these to be redone.. or at least let him attempt a few attempts and getting the angles right (will get some pics tomorrow)

Yes the larger slabs are not cut at all, and yes this wall was not square, he did mention this when he started so he suggested not to start in this corner for this very reason.
    I wouldn't want them to take the full slabs up to cut them, I doubt they can do the fine cut as they are cutting dry. I am only trying to see if its worth having the half slabs up so at least the cut lines up with the full slab

If they do relay a slab, should they be removing the mortar bed or just putting a thin spread of mortar to adhere the new slab? - If they are supposed to do a new bed, I can 100% guarantee they wouldn't do it and it wouldn't be worth the risk for me to request it

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's up to you, I'm only going off the photos you put up, if you have slabs visibly worse than what you've shown then by all means get them to rectify them. Yes, a new full bed of mortar should be applied rather than a thin smear.

6. Sunil237

Sunil237 New Member

We ended up not requesting them to be relayed. With the joint compound it's well disguised.

The jointing is the worst bit of the job, it's only been brushed in and not even well but Luckily I have 1 extra tub and I'm compressing and filling in myself .. hopefully before it gets dark! I just want to get rid of the stress of dealing with them so making good myself IMG-20210429-WA0014.jpg IMG-20210429-WA0019.jpg

Thanks for the advice

Jord86 likes this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Looks like a neat job on the whole. Have a glass of wine and enjoy your new patio.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The worst looking edge that you originally posted isn’t shown in these update photos ?

The edging blocks were up against a run of linear drain, not sleepers

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

it’s sorted now, they’ve had a glass of wine.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ok mate, if you say so ?

Just seems yet another job by a pro tradesperson that isn’t quite the finish it should be, the homeowner gets fobbed off with horse manure and can’t wait to get the workers off his land whilst left to finish off the job himself

Yes ok, we don’t have the full details and yes, the OP could’ve be a total nightmare to deal with, any of us with any trade or profession that deals with the public have come across this type that’s never happy and impossible to work for

But again, we don’t know

We also don’t know if the chap drinks wine, beer or meths or maybe chillin with a nice cup of tea

Yes it’s ‘sorted’ but it’s a little bit of a compromise no ?

Agree, from what we can see, looks a tidy job - hopefully no pooling water and it drains away from the house

norm360 likes this.
  11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

it’s not my house or job so I don’t care. I’ll offer some advice/stick my oar in if I want to participate.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It's a shame that relations have deteriorated for you but at least it's done and dusted now, it looks very good. Best of luck.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well, I wasn’t actually suggested that you pop over and rectify the the tiles for the OP !

And of course, we can all choose wether to participate in this forum, or any other, it’s certainly not compulsory

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I’m well aware, on both accounts.

15. Sunil237

Sunil237 New Member

thanks guys, in the end this contractor was just someone and some headache we don't need in our lives as we are expecting a baby the added stress isn't worth it.

@DIYDave. your comment hits the nail on the head "Just seems yet another job by a pro tradesperson that isn’t quite the finish it should be, the homeowner gets fobbed off with horse manure and can’t wait to get the workers off his land whilst left to finish off the job himself"
    The contractor left and said his guys won't be coming back to do any further work and I just spent from 7:30pm-11:30pm brushing in and compacting more grout! I'm pleased with the finish now (some daylight may show up some of my errors though). I used about 7kg of Geofix grout so yes a bad initial job was done, but I'm glad I caught it and am happy with the finish

Out of my hair once I pay, but a number of my neighbours liked his work so I need to at least warn the ones I like

16. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

This job and all other patio slab jobs need a ceramic indoor tiler supervising the
    cutting and a landscaper doing the lifting . ( no, it won't happen ).