Reliable Smart TRV

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by fred812, May 13, 2021.

1. fred812

fred812 Active Member

I've seen the question asked before but can't recall seeing whether anyone found the answer. I just want a valve that can replace a TRV4 that can be put on a schedule. Don't need heat on demand or anything, just the ability to schedule.

2. robgul

robgul Active Member

Eqiva Model N - Screwfix sells them. We have a couple fitted in bedrooms to "override" the overall controls in the house. They work a treat although setting them up needs concentration!

3. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Thank you, I think it was your question that I was referring to.

4. fred812

fred812 Active Member

Not any more.

5. robgul

robgul Active Member

Ah - they did a few weeks ago1

I bought the first one I have from Germany - outfit called sotel.de - arrived with no problem about 5 days from ordering.

Product Unit price Quantity VAT Total
    Total products (excl. tax) 10.92 £
    plus 19% tax, amount: 2.07 £
    Total products (incl. tax) 12.99 £
    Shipping costs: 6.29 £
    Grand total 19.28 £

6. fred812

fred812 Active Member

7. robgul

robgul Active Member

8. fred812

fred812 Active Member

The reviews say they are noisy. Is that your experience?
    Thinking of using them in bedrooms so could be a problem if bad.

9. robgul

robgul Active Member

There is a very slight whirring noise as it opens/closes - certainly not a problem in my view.

That said ours are in rooms that aren't occupied much of the time (which is why we have them!) - one example: my wife uses a bedroom for yoga about an hour each afternoon - there is a valve in there that is set to "switch on/open" about 20 minutes before the usual time and then switch off/close about 70 minutes later - the idea being that if the rest of the house heating system is running then the "yoga studio" ;) gets a blast of heat and then shuts off when the room is empty and unused again. We've had it installed for a couple of months as we came from winter to spring and no complaints from her!

10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I got five of the bluetooth version of the eQ-3 at £15 each, but it seems the price has rocketed since I got them, yes you can hear them adjusting, but it has never bothered me, it only shows target, and setting with phone was easy, not so easy to manually set them, but fact you can manually set is a bonus, easier to press the right hand button to swap from eco to comfort than get the phone out.

I also have four Energenie MiHome, which need a phone or PC to set, yes they have geofencing and can be read and adjusted around the world, and shows both current and target, but no ability to manually set.

Note the eQ-3 will only pair with one phone, I control 3 and wife controls 2 rooms.

There is also the terrier i30 which is also a stand alone TRV head.

What I liked about the eQ-3 is it says if range too small or large, the more expensive type talked about spacers and things in the instructions but does not report if range too small or large. Also the eQ-3 has a window open function, we use it in kitchen to turn off heating while unloading car.