Relocate house water supply/stopcock within concrete kitchen floor

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gecko, Sep 25, 2013.

1. gecko

gecko Member

Hello,

The water supply for me house comes up out of the kitchen floor and I'm considering moving this to change the kitchen layout.

The floor is solid concrete and all I can see is the very top of the pipe disapearing into the concrete.

The supply is, unsurprisingly, located under the sink and the water supply for the rest of the house disapears into the wall.

How hard would this be and how would I go about doing it?

Thanks!

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi,

This depends on where you want the new supply. If you need to cap the existing one off and take a feed from outside the property; its likely to be around 1 metre under ground and needs to stay at that depth until inside to help prevent problems with frost.

Cheers

Fats

3. gecko

gecko Member

Hi,

Quick reply!

The kichen is at the rear of the house, so would this be encased in the floor all the way across the house?

Would it be bad practice to dig into the floor, chase out the floor to the new location and connect to the existing pipe?

Thanks.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I don't think that the supply runs through the house it would most likely run around it, or if you live mid terrace down a shared passagway. It is quite common to find stop taps under the sink.  The communication pipe would normally have a stop tap located at on the pavement or road, se or that it would be visible after change?

5. Hi Gecko.

How far do you want to move the supply? And what other pipes will need moving too? (I'm guessing mains in, cold feed to the rest of t'house, and hot supply to kicthen - 3 pipes?)

Is your hot water from a combi? In which case all 3 pipes are likely to be 15mm?

In which case, use an angle grinder to cut a slot around - ooh - 100mm wide and - ooh - 50mm-ish deep, and chisel it out. Lay all three pipes, ensuring the hot is away from 'tother two and insulate them all - I can't see why the 2 'colds' can't be laid adjacent to eachother and covered with a single insulation tube ( a larger size) and then the slot can be screeded over ready for whatever floor covering you are going to use.

But confirm all this first...

6. gecko

gecko Member

thanks for your advise!

7. Hmm, what I gave you was 'advice'...

8. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I'm often asked this and to be honest moving a stop tap a distance just ain't worth the effort.

The only proffesional way to do it is to dig out from the outside, locate the pipe. chop a new hole trough the floor in the new location then tunnel under the footings from the outside to locate the new positon and then connect (don't forget to sleeve).

Phew! I've a sweat on just thinking about it

Tappy,

9. (I can hear Geck's angle grinder firing up...)

10. gecko

gecko Member

This is looking a scary prospect and making re-think the kitchen layout!

I chased out the floor in the living room with an angle grinder to run multiple speaker cables and it was quite a task, plus I only went a couple of inches down......

What happened to raised timber floors that made things so easy?!!

11. Gecko, is your hot water delivered from a combi or other mains pressure system?

What's going where the old sink unit (with the pipes) is? Stupid Q - is there a run of units going from there to the new sink position? Ok, I guess not, 'cos you'd have thought about that!

But, how far is it from the old sink unit to the start of the new run - that's as far as you need to channel, no further. Then run the pipes under the units from there.

12. cloudymark

cloudymark New Member

Hi, picking up this thread after a while. Can I ask if / how did you move forward with this, as I'm facing a similar situation.