Remote controlled cabinet downlighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by woodbutcherbower, Sep 26, 2021.

1. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have a job coming up soon which consists of covering an entire 5m-long wall with custom-built cabinets and bookcases. The customer has requested that the top section of this consists of a cornice with a hidden plinth containing concealed downlighting, and that this must be remote-controllable and ideally dimmable (although this isn't a deal-breaker). She has a similar thing on her bedroom wardrobes - they look like miniature downlighters, about 30mm across with a satin chrome bezel, flush-mounted into holes drilled into the underside of the plinth. She can't remember the name of the wardrobe manufacturer.

There are various 13A sockets along this wall, so getting power isn't an issue.

I'm really struggling with this. Can anyone out there suggest anything? I don't want to go down the cheapo Amazon LED strip route if I can help it - I'd like the concealed lighting to be as classy as the cabinetry.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it.

2. Starslikedust

Starslikedust Active Member

Have a look at the Phillips Hue range. Smart bulbs so can be remote controlled. Lots of choice.

3. woodbutcherbower

Thanks very much for the reply. Looks brilliant - but the customer is an elderly lady. I know for a fact that she doesn't have a smartphone (always have to call her landline), and I don't think she even has wi-fi. I was looking for something way simpler. Appreciate your suggestion though.

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I used Lidi strip lights, and also a Lidi three GU10 lamp, all zigbee, and I used the remote for latter to work the other lights, however have not been able to find extra remote controls.

5. SomeOfTheGear

SomeOfTheGear New Member

I've used quite a few of these Amazon / Ebay LED strip lights, as they are out of the box they can look pretty tacky IMHO. However, you can get aluminium channel with a plastic diffuser cover to run them in which smartens really them up. Some of the kits come with an inline knob on the 12v side to adjust the brightness.

You can get all sorts of remote control dimmers and even colour changers but if the Client is "tech averse" an inline control can't get lost!

6. Starslikedust

Starslikedust Active Member

The ikea smart lights don't need wifi (I think). They do connect if you use the gateway but otherwise there is a controller that looks like a hockey puck

7. bright_Spark

bright_Spark Screwfix Select

We have fitted loads of led ribon strip lighting into some very classy high profile kitchens which are available from Screwfix too, we use a hot glue gun to mount the strip as I don't trust the 3M adhesive backing it comes with. If you take a look at our facebook page you can see some of the kitchens that we work on and in excess of 75K + and they look brilliant if installed in a concealed manner. It isnt about price and sleek with cabinet lighting, its the way you install it.

8. woodbutcherbower

That's brilliant, I'll check all of that stuff out. Thanks very much to everyone who replied - I really appreciate it.