removal of faux tudor beams

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by rubble2, Oct 9, 2021.

1. rubble2

rubble2 Member

Our house is about 20 years old and has external faux tudor beams (see photo). We don't like them and as they are starting to rot we are looking at getting them removed and re-rendering the area on the front of the house which they are attached to.

Is the removal something that the people we employ to carry out the rendering would undertake or would we need to get the beams removed prior to getting the render people on site?

It is a bit difficult to visualise exactly how the house will look without the beams but I guess that as a last resort if we realise that we have made a big mistake, we could always re-instate them later?

Appreciate any feedback

Attached Files:

2. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If they're anything like mine they're just 6x1 fixed on over the rendering.

rubble2 and gadget man like this.
  4. rubble2

rubble2 Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Muzungu - I tried doing that myself but not as successfully as you -much appreciated.

Willy - I expect you are correct, hopefully easy to remove.

Muzungu likes this.
  5. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just an idle few minutes with Mspaint!

6. rubble2

rubble2 Member

Sorry to resurrect this again, I have done nothing about this yet due to a mixture of indecision and other priorities.

I am now giving it further thought and have come up with what may be a possible solution but there are a number of uncertanties and assumptions so I thought I would post on here and see what opinions I could gather.

1) Could anyone hazard a guess as to how the house is likely to be constructed behind the render/beams? I am assuming that if the render and beams are removed, the underlying surface would be some form of blockwork.

2) if 1) is true then would the exposed blockwork be flush with the finished brickwork below or would it be inset slightly to allow for the thickness of the render etc?

The reason I ask (this is where the quesswork/ assumptions come in) I have been looking at brick slips to replace the render on the top of the front elevation but I appreciate that the brick slips would need to be an exact match to the brickwork below and that the brick slips could be attached so as to be flush with the existing brickwork, to produce a homogenous appearance as if the house had originally been built using only facing bricks from ground to roof.

I know it is a long shot but what are your thoughts?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The beams I have replaced have been on a 1920's Mock Tudor property and another on a property of similar age to yours, in both cases the beams were attached over and on top of the render.

rubble2 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  8. WillyEckerslike

My thoughts.. (you did ask)
    Why would you remove the render? Just fill the holes and repaint the lot.
    Brick slips would look naff - Only my opinion of course. You might as well take up the tarmac and get an imprinted drive whilst you're busy.
    This is unlikely but you might, just might, need planning permission as you're changing the character and design of the house. That used to be a thing but I'm not sure anyone CBA nowadays

rubble2 likes this.
  9. rubble2

rubble2 Member

Ha. Yes, pehaps I am overthinking this. I am just not sure that the render would look ok, I suppose that the thing to do is to remove the beams, repair and paint the render and then live with it for a while. I suppose if worst came to the worst I could always revert to the mock Tudor (perhaps in a toned down version) if we decide it looks too plain with just render.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  10. rubble2

rubble2 Member

P.S. An imprinted drive would be a step too far!

11. WillyEckerslike

Even well done they look as fake as a thirteen pound note - and they're the good ones.

stevie22 and rubble2 like this.