Remove 2 way light switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by buckeroo82, Oct 16, 2017.

1. buckeroo82

buckeroo82 New Member

I need to remove one of the 2 switches (one at the front and one at the back) for the lighting in my garage as whoever put it there originally didn't account for the opening and closing of the garage door. As you can see the garage door hits it every time which clearly isn't ideal!

So, I don't need a switch at the front of the garage at all as I never go in and out that way so thought i'd remove it. The options I've come up with are......

1) Is it simply a case of disconnecting the 3 core and earth at each end then rerouting the other wire in switch 1 back to switch 2 instead?
    2) Or, would it be acceptable to just remove the switch and make connections in a JB up above the garage door at the top of the drop for the switch that I'm removing?
    3) If it makes life any easier then i could move the switch to the opposite wall.

So what's the simplest option for getting rid?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Which is the switch you want to remove? Switch 1 or 2?

3. buckeroo82

buckeroo82 New Member

Sorry, switch 1 is the one that's got to go.

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Move it up the wall out of the way fix it and leave it alone.
    RS

5. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I go with RS on this one, I would just move it up out of the way, perhaps put a ceiling cord switch in it's place. Looks like the electrician who did it has never herd of a 2 way using the extension method, no connector is required.

retiredsparks likes this.
  6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Looks like an old school industrial sparky did it - They get it in their head to strap between L1 and L2, feeding live in one COM and the switched live out the other.

I would agree - raise it up higher. You could raise it and joint it, using a blank plate, but you may swell just leave the switch in place, just higher up.

7. buckeroo82

buckeroo82 New Member

Thanks guys, moving it up high is the way to go. I like it when the answer is the easy option!