Remove Paint from exterior brick

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Markbebbs, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Markbebbs

Markbebbs New Member

Hi

Someone painted the outside of our new house with black paint. Tried a bit of paint stripper and a wire brush but didn't move it. I was thinking brick acid might work. Anyone used it for paint removal or got any other tips?

thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have used used Feb Brickclean to remove paint, found it pretty good.
    Most brick cleaners are acid based cleaner, & can discolour some bricks,so do a test area,& wear eye protection & gloves.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/brickclean

Markbebbs likes this.
  3. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

What type of paint is it? Not bitumen?
    If the brick cleaner doesn't work you could try a wire wheel on a drill.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

More likely gloss, or a can of car spray paint,is what oiks are using around here.
    If emulsion, then a pressure washer will remove it.

5. Markbebbs

Markbebbs New Member

ah, it's not been vandalised but the previous owners painted the front half of the house with back paint. It looks like a tick black gloss.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Got a photo.:)

7. Don't use brick acid for the reasons said above - it'll attack the bricks but not the paint.

Paint stripper should remove it, tho' you may need to experiment with different types. I understand there's a 'gel' type you brush on and then cover with a sheet to keep it from drying out - it then gets to work over a longer period of time.

What's your ultimate aim - to get back to clean bare brick? If so, anticipate also having to possibly lightly sand-blast the brick to remove the final traces, or possibly a chemical clean (like brick acid, but in a controlled way) or summat.

Is simply repainting it a more acceptable colour an alternative?

(A cheeky way is to contact companies who do this sort of work and get them out for quotes. If their prices are not acceptable, you might still pick up of the best way to have the job done... And if you do decide to use them, then at least you'll know the results will be guaranteed)

Markbebbs and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Paint stripper can also discolour bricks.

9. Markbebbs

Markbebbs New Member

Hi - ultimate aim is to take it back to bare brick. I was hoping a strong solution of brick acid - 30% hydrochloric acid might work, but I'm thinking of trying something called Peel away which is the stripper you mention that you cover with a sheet. I think whatever I use the job will be a nightmare.

10. Markbebbs

Markbebbs New Member

7472_102495004868_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    7472_102495004868_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bluddy hell!:eek:

Try a hot air gun, might work, then follow up with brick cleaner.

Are you going to eventually paint wall cream as above.

What that on left chimney?:confused:

12. Markbebbs

Markbebbs New Member

Yer, we're renovating it to sell on and It's more like a tree than a bush :) I'd not thought about a hot air gun. next doors is just bare brick and looks good so ideally we want to leave it as bare brick.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thought it was bush, but no it can't be.:eek:

Hot air gun might work very well,then follow up with the brick cleaner, & don't forget you can dilute brick cleaner,so you could start with weak mix & work up to something stronger.

There always plan B, strip it & then paint to match cream paint.:D

14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Can't make it out properly but it looks like a buddleia. Very quick to colonise waste ground and to exploit cracks and faults in paving and brickwork.

Markbebbs likes this.
  15. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Just over paint it, its not as if it stands out from the neighbouring properties.

The forest on the roof is another thing though and has to go. :p:p

KIAB likes this.
  16. Markbebbs

Markbebbs New Member

thanks for replies everyone. I also had a quote to sandblast it off yesterday for £450.