Removed coving - what next...novice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JAM74, May 24, 2019.

1. JAM74

JAM74 New Member

Hi, First post and a complete novice so go easy! We have had a plasterer in to do walls and a ceiling. However, we have decided to do another ceiling but not the walls. I have taken down the coving in preparation but this has pulled a lot of the rendering off as will leaving a lot of the sections back to bare walls. What do I need to do now? Best to remove all the existing rendering? Fill in where the coving was but what with? I have read about dots and dabs method but then have also read not to put plaster board directly onto brick work (something about moisture). Or do I just use a cement motor (which one and where from?) I am hoping to leave it in a state where the plasterer will do the ceiling and then come down where the coving was and feather it in.

If someone can point me in the right direction of what I need to do that would be great (as an aside I will be using blue grit on the ceiling in preparation for the plasterer).

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

depend on condition of remained render, if is loose and hollowed on the back you should take it down completely.
    if original wall had no damp problem you can do plasterboard by dot and dab over, alternatively hardwall + plaster,
    ask your plasterer, he is a tradesmen and he will examine render condition on site

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I would leave it to the plasterer as long as you trust him.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get your plasterer back in.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Get plaster back for a look as I can't say for sure what's needs to be done. But.... If cove has pulled off old backing I Pva 50/50 and leave to dry overnight then fill with bonding plaster.