Removing a roof truss

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by A.l.a.n, Jan 10, 2022.

1. A.l.a.n

A.l.a.n New Member

Hi all

our loft space is L shaped and we currently only using half of the space available because to get to the other half you have to squeeze between 2 trusses. (See attached photo)

so my question is… if we wanted to remove the lower portion of 1 of the truss, would it need to be supported somehow or would it be strong enough to take it without adding any support?

Many thanks

alan

Attached Files:

2. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

I’m no expert, but I’m guessing it’s there for a reason. You go cutting it you could be in big trouble.
    Hopefully @Jord86 will reply.

3. A.l.a.n

A.l.a.n New Member

I wasn’t just going to cut it out, I’d get an expert to do it. was wanting to get the know of the job before I get people in to look at the job. I just wanted know if removing the bottom half (top half is fixed to other parts of roof/trusses) of it would make any difference to the load bearing or not?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It looks like it's a cut roof with rafters rather than trusses and that area has a valley above, off the limited visibility on the photo don't cut anything out as it will be detrimental to the strength of the rafter(s) and possibly any ceiling joist or struts and if ever a valley is going to leak apart from age it will be because you messed about near it.

5. A.l.a.n

A.l.a.n New Member

Ok, thanks

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The huge advantage of a cut and pitched roof over preformed trusses is that it is much simpler to modify it.

There should be no problem doing what you want BUT get an experienced carpenter to do it. He'll add some extra support first.