Removing an old, active alarm system?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul Solecki, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Paul Solecki

Paul Solecki New Member

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum, just bought my first house and screwfix has been rather useful :D

The house has an alarm system which is live. The house was sold by the previous occupant's siblings as they had passed away and no-one has any record of a code.

The alarm was installed at a time before the 011X telephone area codes were introduced and the installer no longer exists.

I'm wanting to know what the best way to remove it is? It has 3 sensors that are wired and there's an alarm box on the front of the house. The alarm just has Concept Advanced Microprocessor Control on it, no other manufacturer names.

Can anyone recommend the best way to remove it? I.e. places to start.

The house is old and has an old, black fuse box with only 3 fuses, one is lighting, one probably sockets and one everything else I assume.

Cheers,
    Paul.

2. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Alarm panels are preferably supplied with their power from a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit. However usually their power is supplied via a FCU, fused connection unit.

You state:- “The house is old and has an old, black fuse box with only 3 fuses, one is lighting, one probably sockets and one everything else I assume”.

Due to your aforementioned statement, i would advise you engage the services of a competent electrician to carry out an EICR, (ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CONDITION REPORT). He/she will then be able to advise you on the safety of your electrical installation.

In the meantime if you have an understanding of electrics & feel confident in disabling your alarm? Then -: presuming the power to alarm is from an FCU?

1. Identify FCU suppling alarm.
    2. Isolate power at your consumer unit/fusebox using the main switch.
    3. Check for dead.
    4. Remove fuse from the FCU suppling alarm panel.
    5. Again check no power to alarm panel.
    6. Satisfied no power, then remove lid on alarm panel.
    7. Now remove both leads on backup battery & remove battery from panel. Note. At point 6. any sounders on your system may now be sounding!
    8. External sounders usually have a backup battery and will now sound usually for approx 15mins. There will be no need to get the ladders out as now you have removed all power to the panel. The batteries in the external sounder will discharge as there is no longer power being supplied from the panel.

3. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

First consult your neighbours
    Second make sure you have ladder high enough to remove the sounder , they can honk on a dying battery for hours

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  4. sparky steve

Sounders also have a timed function incorporated in their circuitry, so would be unusual for the scenario you describe.

5. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Given the suggested age of the system, there is a good chance it may not have a time limiter.

The OP should have a ladder in place ready to get to teh sounder and disable it. However, two safety considerations:

1. Have a set of decent earplugs to hand and maybe a set of ear defenders too.
    2. If there is a strobe, then be very careful as the trigger voltage could be 10kV and the feed voltage anywhere from 300 to 500v DC.

The second point still needs to be considered even after a sounder has stopped, the could still be capacitors charged up.

6. sparky steve

Therefore given the suggested age, very much doubt the sounder batteries would provide power for very long, if at all. However should the op require ladders? Your safety points are good advice.

7. Paul Solecki

Paul Solecki New Member

Thanks all, that's really helpful :) I'm going to leave it until later in the year when I'll get a consumer unit installed. There's a variety of disconnected wiring around the house, the old heating timer has been replaced by a Hive unit and although not showing any power, the old unit is still there, checking the wiring there's approx 4V going to it so I'll wait until funds have recovered and get an electrician to sort the lot at the same time.

Thanks again for the advice!

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Drill a hole in alarm box and fill with expanding foam. You will need to smash box off then though. That will stop the sound if any. Cut power to main box with isolation switch and make safe and rip the lot out. Box might make a sound but a hammer with fix that if battery is fixed in.
    If you can't isolate alarm get a sparks to do it but expect a racket.

Guess you can turn main power off and see what happens but you need to plan for the unexpected racket that can't be turned off if battery is still holding power.

9. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

It may not ... for many years sounders have internal shrouds that cover the sounders and whilst foam may attenuate it slightly there can still be a high level output.

10. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Not if the hold of& battery in the bell box is dying. Enough juice to sound it for hours and you can’t turn it off apart from disc said internal battery, I know I’ve done a few at 3 in the morning

11. sparky steve

So where is the aforementioned juice coming from? All power was advised to be removed in #2. Therefore given the suggested age, very much doubt the sounder batteries would provide power for very long.#6

12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Back in the 80s I walked past a house with alarm going off every day for two weeks. Folks were away and neighbours were told by police they can't touch alarm. Guess it was mains power but no timer on that. I wonder what the law says now?

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Believe it’s 20mins max