removing an understairs (supporting) wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by monika, Nov 26, 2017.

  1. monika

    monika New Member

    Hi :)

    My staircase is kind of moved backwards into the kitchen. Please see the photo. Is there any way i could remove this wall so i could have a normal size kitchen as it takes loads of space. My joists go from left to right as you're looking at the wall. :( Please help ! 111.jpg
  2. Dr Bodgit

    Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

    It depends if it's load bearing, looks like that wall could be supporting the stairs.
  3. monika

    monika New Member

    That's what I am afraid of....
    There's a main wall on right hand side. What if I prolonged it through that gap under stairs and made it supporting stairs? Would that work ?
  4. Dr Bodgit

    Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

    No you can't just play about with these thing or the house will fall down. Engage with a structural surveyor if you want to know what's possible.
    KIAB likes this.
  5. monika

    monika New Member

    Ok, I will eventually :) thank you :)
  6. That understairs cupboard wall that's against the larder may well be hiding a supporting post for the top of the stairs - it would be roughly in line with the newel post (if there is one).

    On the other hand, it may be that there isn't a supporting post there at all and the upstairs is self-supporting.

    Only one way to find out...

    But, if there is a post there, then quite possible that a cantilever beam could be taken across at ceiling height from the RH wall as you suggest.

    But but buit, of course as Bodge says, you don't start playing about with this - you need an SE to do so, and he/she would almost certainly need to expose that partition wall.

    Can it be done? Yes - anything can.
    monika and KIAB like this.
  7. fillyboy

    fillyboy Well-Known Member

    What about bending spoons using only the power of thought?
  8. monika

    monika New Member

    GREAT !!! So there's hope !! :D
  9. Yes, even that.

    Provided the power of thought is first passed through your hands...
    monika likes this.
  10. Jord86

    Jord86 Well-Known Member

    You will only need a structural engineer if the wall is load bearing and you wish to remove it. You may be lucky and the stairs will be resting on a trimmer joist, and fixed to your side wall (so it won't go anywhere), if the trimmer or any other joist isn't supported by the wall, it should be able to be removed. Get a competent builder/carpenter round to have a look first before going the structural engineer route, a small bit of investigatory work will soon let you know.
    Deleted member 33931 and monika like this.
  11. Chris91

    Chris91 New Member

    Hi Monika,

    How did you get on?

    I have an identical situation to this. Would love to know how you went about it. Did you get an SE in the end? Or a builder to inspect? Was the wall supporting the stairs?

  12. monika

    monika New Member

    wall.jpeg wall 2.png
    sorry for delay but we haven't done anything regarding the wall till now.
    I asked structural engineers for a quote but they came up with ridiculous amount of money.
    So I decided to remove a piece of ceiling by myself :D it turned out the ceiling plasterboard was sitting between the beams and the wall! So the wall is not supporting anything. It was there just to create the understairs storage. We are removing the wall this weekend.


Share This Page