Removing beading from small upvc window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JimP, Jun 5, 2017.

1. JimP

JimP Member

I'm having trouble removing the beading from a small 22x27cm window. The length of beading is so short it is proving incredibly stiff and impossible bend enough to remove.
    I can bend it about 1cm but the mitre joints in the corners are keeping it firmly in place, see photo attached.

Does anyone know how best to get this beading off, preferably without breaking it?

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You won't need to break it. Do as you've done but keep pressure firmly in the middle of the bead and it should pop out. Slide a rigid filling knife down past the bead and lever away from the frame gently and it should come out.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You've done the hardwork in getting to bead to pop, just gently work towards the corner it should pop out, unless the fitters glued them together at the mitres. :(:(

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you can get a 10mm gap, get a 10mm thick length of wood or plastic and start to lever it outwards away from the glass(lever at the frame, not the glass blimey). Once you can get your fingers in there, use them and also to help manipulate the corners out.

5. JimP

JimP Member

Cheers everyone, got the thing off. Used a couple of spacers at either end to wedge it open as wide as I could, then tapped a rigid filling knife through the gap and was able to lever it enough to eventually pull it off! :)