removing door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by handyman., Dec 31, 2003.

1. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I have removed my back door as french doors have been put in where the old window was (B&Q £200 - appear very good for the money).

Have removed door and frame, but have left in the concrete part at the bottom. I have put in a 4x2 constructed frame (and put dpc around where wood/brick contact) with a 10mm ply back. The ply is facing the cavity. Will now brick up the outside. Put insulation in ply to pasterboard cavity and plasterboard over it. Foam filled edge gaps.

My question is.....does this sound OK so far and do you put anything in the cavity. One thing I was told is 'some kind of paper' or a vapour barrier like 12869 stapled on the back of the ply. Is this required and whats the correct name for the 'paper'?

Any advice most welcome.

2. handyman.

handyman. New Member

No reply's. I think I got dumped onto page 2.3.4..... (where no one ever looks)when this forum reopened at new year. Hopefully this will put me back on page one and get some help!!

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

LOL..I read you post last night and was wondering how to reply? I'll have a read again...

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think what you have done is okay without need for further 'paper' or stuff like that. Provided you have sealed around the frame the jobs a kipper!

5. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Handyman, if you put insulation between the ply and the plasterboard you will need a vapour barrier. Use polythene sheet available from most DIY outlets. It fits between the plasterboard and the insulation to prevent condensation forming when warm moist air meets a cold surface. Another option is to use foil backed plasterboard.

If its not too late, you would probably be better off using blocks unless you have a timber framed house.

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Thanks for the advice. Will look into this vapour issue for next time as the job is complete now !! (without vapour barrier) Plasterer finished job before I got last posting.

I await large amounts of vapour entering my living room!

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

fit vindow vapours to the glass..:D

8. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Handyman, the problem with vapour is not it coming into the room but it going out as your room is probably more warm and moist than the outside.

Warm moist air from your room will pass through the plasterboard and when it hits a cold surface it will condense. So you will have water forming in the wall:( not good.

I would recomend that you paint the wall with water impervious paint ie not emulsion as otherwise this could cause you a lot of problems in the near future.

Hope you look in to read this

Keith

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

will have a look for this anti vapour paint
    Vanks for the advice all