Removing drywall screw stains from plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sean, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean New Member

Just had some plastering done in my kitchen but the supposedly galvanized drywall screws have began to show through the plaster and stain. My plaster said that he thinks turpentine will remove this but said he would definitely find out but has never got back to me. Any ideas?

2. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

Stain - rust ??
    If it's rust then I seriously doubt if proper screws were used.
    However with talking plaster who can tell?? :)

Only thing I can think to suggest (other than having the plaster ripped off, the screws replaced and it all redone at the plasterer's expense, is to paint with an oil based paint - this will trap the stain behind.
    With emulsion it will continue to come though.

Tangoman

3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I've had it happen even with Gyproc's BZP screws, the screwdriver bit can chip some of the plating off which soon rusts and stains the plaster/easyfill.

As Tango says bit of oil undercoat or stainblock will do.

Jason

4. TTigger

TTigger New Member

I'd go to a decorators merchant and get the best stain blocking/problem solving primer they've got. Blackfriars do one, IMO the best ones are made by Zinsser (spelling?). I think maybe Sikkens to some good ones too - is it the Cetol range?

Dom

5. Sean

Sean New Member

Thanks lads' I'll just paint it then.

6. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

A commom cause for this it the screw not being screwed in far enough. In the ideal, you would have a screw driven home with a small round dimple around it.
    When joints/screws are done it will leave a thicker coat of plaster over the screws, the rust marks will not bleed through a good thickness of plaster.