Removing freestanding cooker and fitting built in oven -- DIY

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by clifford83, Sep 9, 2017.

  1. clifford83

    clifford83 New Member

    Hi guys,

    I am a competent DIY'er and currently decorating my kitchen. I've decided i want to fit new worktops and tiles as well as paint the rest of the room. I've also decided our 15 year old free standing cooker can go as i want to fit the worktop straight across the top and go buy a hob and built in single oven. This is where i am needing some advice...

    So the gap where my old cooker was is 635mm wide. The cupboard to the left of it is small and could potentially be slightly relocated.

    Do i:
    1- Buy a 600mm cabinet to fit in the 635mm gap and move the small cabinet situated to the left inwards to close the 635mm gap to 600mm?. So it sits flush with the new cabinet?. (id need to buy a universal cabinet as i have no idea what brand my kitchen cupboards are).
    2- Move the cabinet to the left of this gap inwards and then simply fit the oven brackets between the current cabinets?.

    Which moves me onto my next question:

    Do built in ovens come with brackets?. I guess they do... but i have to ask.

    Any other info that i may need to know would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.
  2. CGN

    CGN Well-Known Member

    Definitely use a 600mm cabinet for your oven. The oven sits on the bottom shelf and is screwed into the sides of the cabinet. I often fit an end panel either side of the oven cabinet as this help protect the adjacent doors, drawer fronts from heat and also looks good. You only need one end panel though as you cut it half vertically and use half either side.
    One problem you may encounter is finding a matching infill panel for below your oven. Depending on what oven you choose, you may not need it though as some are slightly taller than others.

    You'll also need some more plinth as there will be a gap below your new oven cabinet.

    Depending on budget, may be an idea to update the whole kitchen with new doors etc. Not as much as you may think and plenty of options out there :)
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    KIAB likes this.
  3. Tricky Dicky

    Tricky Dicky Active Member

    I concur that CGN's comment 'I often fit an end panel either side of the oven cabinet as this help protect the adjacent doors' is a useful tip. And this will probably take up the extra 35mm as well.
    KIAB likes this.
  4. clifford83

    clifford83 New Member

    Thanks CGN and Tricky Dicky.

    So with what you both said, are you saying i should leave my cabinets as they are with the 635mm gap?. Get a 600mm cabinet and stick it in. Then fit small panels either side of the oven?. Just trying to picture it in my head.

    Also do built in ovens come with the brackets required?. Or do i have to make my own brackets?. Or do they just screw into a standard 600mm cabinet?.
    Paul12345 likes this.
  5. CGN

    CGN Well-Known Member

    You need to buy a 600mm oven cabinet. The oven just slides in and the rests on the bottom shelf. The oven is fixed to the cabinet with a couple of screws. These are visible/accessible when you open the door.

    Decide on which cabinets are easiest to move and unscrew them from the wall. Fit your new oven cabinet to the existing cabinets then bring in the ones you removed to complete the run. If you want an end panel either side of the oven then obviously fit those in as you go. 635mm is about the right gap give or take a few mm for an oven cabinet and end panels as Tricky said. Its not too hard, but just post if you have more questions :)
  6. Tricky Dicky

    Tricky Dicky Active Member

    The cut down end panels are used end on, ie if the panels are 16mm thick, then the two (one either side of the oven housing) will result in the two new 'cabinet' being 632mm wide. The weight of the oven sits on the bottom shelf, as CGN says, the front screws, perhaps 4, just keeps the oven in place.
  7. terrymac

    terrymac Active Member

    are you planning a gas hob with your electric oven ? some electric ovens work off a 13 amp 3 pin plug, but some draw more current and have to be hard wired ,usually into a radial circuit . a lot of ovens have very little space behind them so keep wall free of sockets etc. gas pipes to hob need to be carefully sited ,or the oven won't go far enough back.
  8. clifford83

    clifford83 New Member

    I am planning to fit a electric hob. I believe the depth of those are around about 50mm. My worktops are 38mm laminate.

    I have my eyes on a bosch oven which has a depth of 550mm. So 50mm spare. But with the sockets on the wall and the gas pipe thats in the way, it looks as though the oven will butt right up to those for it to fit.

    I've also read you can leave a 10mm gap at the top of the oven for ventilation?.
  9. CGN

    CGN Well-Known Member

    TM has made a good point about electric and gas preventing the oven going in. Best to have a socket in an adjacent cupboard and the gas pipe and iso valve high up in the base unit so it doesn't catch the back of the oven. Good idea to get your base unit and oven first and trial fit them before having the gas pipes modified.
  10. clifford83

    clifford83 New Member

    Hi guys,

    I have trial fitted the oven unit and unfortunately i have a 45mm gap on one side, not the suspected 35mm first thought. The problem i have is, the left unit which i was planning to move to close the gap more, has, unfortunately not been tiled under it when i had the floor tiles fitted 2 years ago. And i have none spare, nor are they available to buy anymore!. So its going to be a real pain moving this unit to close that gap.

    Will these end panels mentioned earlier work still?. Does anyone have any example pictures of this? CGN? Tricky Dicky? where are youooooo?

  11. kitfit1

    kitfit1 Active Member

    In that case, site the oven in the middle and just use 2 equal fillers on either side.
  12. CGN

    CGN Well-Known Member

    You rang! :D

    End panels are usually about 20mm thick so a slight shortfall, but if you moved the units across 5mm, you could probably put some tile grout in tge floor, if there is a gap between the tile and base unit. A bead of clear silicon as well for good measure and you'll never notice :)
  13. clifford83

    clifford83 New Member

    Thanks again :)

    Where do i get these 20mm panels from?
  14. CGN

    CGN Well-Known Member

    Do you know what make your kitchen is?

    Any photos?
  15. clifford83

    clifford83 New Member

  16. CGN

    CGN Well-Known Member

    Can't seem to open the link on my phone. What I would do, is take off a door and take it to a kitchen supplier, you could try b and q etc, and see if you can get a reasonable colour match. End panels are pretty generic but may differ in thickness by a few mm. Remember, you only need one as you cut it in half and use half either side of your new oven base unit. uaually set them out 20mm proud of the base unit so they just sit a tad out from the door/drawer front.
  17. clifford83

    clifford83 New Member

    When you say end panels, what size are you referring to? other than 20mm thick. Are they actually end panels for the job i need to do? Or do i need to cut them to size?.
  18. CGN

    CGN Well-Known Member

    What you need is a base unit end panel. They provide a finish at the end of a run of base unit carcasses. Some older base units have a coloured end panel incorporated to the carcass. A photo of your kitchen would help.. Don't be shy, none of us live in palaces :)

    You usually need to cut them to height as they are slightly over size. You can use a hand saw for this so no specialised tools needed :)
  19. clifford83

    clifford83 New Member

    Ahh i understand now. So i need to find one that matches my colour. Is there anywhere to get these cheaply? I had a quick look and they seem to be £69 ish.

    My cupboards unfortunately are ex council installed in 2014. The sides are not the same colour as the front. So looks naff, but i can't afford to replace them now. Maybe in the future i will vinyl wrap them or something. Let me attach a picture now...

    Attached Files:

  20. CGN

    CGN Well-Known Member

    They're just fine. Your wall cabinets don't seem to have an end matter. As above, take a door etc to get a match. A base unit end panel should cost about £30. Google kitchen suppliers. B and Q will prob have something. Whereabouts are you?

Share This Page