Removing Gas Hob

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by John N, Sep 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. John N

John N New Member

Hi all,

I'm currently re-fitting my kitchen.

I've removed everything, including the gas hob.

There was a small ball valve isolating it from the supply.

This ball valve is still attached to the mains.

If I'm replacing the hob with an electric one, do I need to do anything with this valve? Cap it off etc...
    Or can I just leave it hidden away behind the cabinets.

Cheers,

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

yes you must cap off the valve,however you need to make sure there are no leaks,get a gas fitter to do it,it's cheaper than blowing the house up.

3. John N

John N New Member

Ok, thanks :)

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If its a ball valve its possibly not a gas fitting get as gas safe in asap. meanwhile cap the valve off with a 1/2" blanking cap and washer.
    And for the future please dont DIY with gas for your own safety and that of your family.

5. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Don't touch it obviously get an engineer

6. SC96

SC96 Member

You can't leave it if it's a compression isolation valve it should be a gas thumb cock also you can't leave a gas compression joint behind something unless it is accessible. Personally I would get a gas engineer to solder cap it off

7. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Have you tested the valve with a weak soap solution or a leak detection fluid?

If you get any bubbles forming around the valve when you're conducting the test call an ACS engineer ASAP!!