Removing gloss from brass?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Ilfordjedi, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Ilfordjedi

Ilfordjedi New Member

Could anyone tell me the best way to remove old gloss paint from some brass door handles I've recently removed from an old property? I've had a go with a suede brush but it takes ages. Would Nitomores be okay?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

I recently stripped a lot of paint of some copper central heating pipes using a long wire brush attached to a drill. If your handles are solid brass this would be ok, but if they're plated then whatever you do, you've had it. Given that you're asking though I would imagine they're solid as it's not worth the time reclaiming plated ones!

Probably the ideal thing for the job would be a dremel multitool as I'm pretty sure it comes with an attachment for precisely this.

Tango

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

nitamours is fine put it in a plastic bag ect

i would personally use a stiff bristle brush to get into
    the nooks and crannies

once you've done this you will have to keep cleaning them
    cos the sweat from your hands will dull them quickly
    [the ones you buy have a lacker type finnish]
    if you use a wire brush it will work a treat but you
    will get faint scratches

im sure someone will come along with a great tip to stop
    them tarnishing

good luck big all

4. Jon 159

Jon 159 New Member

nitromors should work, but do a test first and and use the water soluble one. there may be the slight possibility that it could eat into the metal. if all works out ok, use a very fine wire wool or scotch pad to get into nooks and crannies.when everything is clean and dry spraying with a clear laquer to seal the metal and to stop tarnishing from handling