Removing ground floor chimney breast

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Brian0782, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Brian0782

Brian0782 New Member

Hi

We'd like to remove the ground floor chimney breast in our house. The stack and first floor had already been removed.

When removing the breast, what do we need to consider? ie putting in gallow or supporting the ceiling?

I'm thinking if the stack and first floor had already been removed then the job is fairly straightforward?

Thanks

2. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If you're lucky there will be existing trimmers round the breast and you'll just need to add a couple of infill joist sections and patch ceiling (floor above assumed to be done?)

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

i may be worth looking in the loft to see how the rest of the chimney is supported , if its still there,
    if you plan banging the wall about , i would recommend you look?

4. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

All gone according to OP.

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

ah !
    never read it properly
    oh well.................
    :rolleyes:

6. Brian0782

Brian0782 New Member

Yes, stack and first floor has already been removed

7. Nobasel

Nobasel New Member

Hi Brian
    I have a similar situation and was wondering how the ground floor chimney removal went, and what you had to do in terms of any supporting the floor above. Our property already has the entire chimney breast removed from the first floor. We just need to remove it from the ground floor to create move space in the kitchen. Thanks for any information!!

8. qwas123

qwas123 Screwfix Select

kiaora,
    Given its an old post but
    you were spot on right the first time. The OP said that: "the stack and first floor had already been removed"
    The OP said nothing about the loft.
    So post # 4 was wrong to say that its: "All gone according to OP."