Removing Interior Window Trim / Window Frame attachment to brickwork.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by aml1989, May 6, 2022.

1. aml1989

aml1989 New Member

So just to start, I'm 95% sure I'm safe to do this without my window falling out - but - as I'm not 100% sure how my window frame is attached to my brickwork - my decision is to side with safety, taking the night off the tools and proceeding again in the morning once confirmed safe from someone that knows for certain.

There's no visible manufacturer's or supplier's markings to check installation instructions, and I can't find any online resources showing how this may have been installed to orientate myself to what's structural or not.​

Hi!

I need to remove the wooden interior trim & sill on one of my uPVC window frames.

My pry bar has got a few panels of finishing trim off (side casing & apron) to reveal the brickwork and further trim (sill and jambs) as such:
    Untitled4.jpg

On checking around the window frame I can see there's screws going through the frame into these trim panels.
    Untitled3.jpg

This is where I want to pause before I do something I'll regret.
    Untitled.jpg

My assumption is:
    My window is NOT held in by only a few mm of screw threads and a bead of silicone into some decorative wooden trim, which in turn is attached to the brickwork by some offcuts and a couple of nails.
    Instead the opposite is true; my decorative wooden trim is held in place to the nice and secure window frame by aforementioned mm of screw threads & silicone bead.
    If this is true, then I'm safe to proceed in my disassembly.​

My issue is:
    I can't easily see how else my window frame could be attached to my brickwork. There's some pretty hefty sealant around my exterior brickwork but surely this can't be all? Untitled2.jpg
    I can see YouTube videos of people installing the window frame by screwing to the brickwork through the frame, but nothing with screwing to the decor through the frame.
    If this is true, then I'm at risk of dropping my window & frame out of my flat if I continue...​

If anyone can shed light on how everything is secured I'll be very grateful.

Thanks all,
    Andy.

2. Mr right first time

Mr right first time Active Member

Cut the silicone around the window, you’ll see that it is butted up against the trims I’m sure.

3. aml1989

aml1989 New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Just to confirm the language used - are you saying the window frame is butted up against thetrims and removing the trims risks dropping the window?
    Or the trim is butted up against the frame and safe to remove my wooden trim?

Just to remove any ambiguity before I do something I regret!

Again, appreciated for your reply.

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. Mr right first time

Mr right first time Active Member

The window and trim will be sat next to each other (attached only by silicone I’d imagine)

cut the silicone and you’ll find out. Also if you want you could remove another screw from the frame and see how long it is, they should go right through to the brickwork and beyond. Some windows are fitted with expanding foam because people are lazy but it would take a fair amount of effort for your window to fall out.

5. aml1989

aml1989 New Member

Okay, after a bit more poking around and seeing what moves & what doesn't, I'm even less sure how they actually installed these windows!

After a bit of persuasion with the pry bar I have one side off. As you and I guessed, 3x screws going through the frame about 6mm into the trim. The trim is further held to the brickwork by two skinny nails so not supporting any great loads.
    Two of these screws are in the lower opening part of the window frame, the top one was within the fixed pane of glass (but as the protruding threads were so short, pulled out easily).
    If I want a clean removal of the other side panel, or any of the top panel, I'll need to remove the fixed pane of glass - I'll hold fire until I'm ready for the next bits of the build so it's open for as short a time as possible.

In terms of the base window board, that's a bit trickier.
    Prizing it away with the pry bar does need some force, even needing a separate lever to brace the window frame into the brickwork so I'm not pulling that away with it.
    Doing this has let me shift it a few mm.
    On giving it another wiggle, I see my outer uPVC window sill is firmly attached to my inner wooden window board - how the hell were these connected together!?

I want to know how and by whom these windows were put it!?! Taking out the window trim should be an easy job!
    Little decorative strips appear to be integral to how a heavy window has been mounted in place, said wood is only mounted with a couple of tacks.

The only thing I can think of is if the installer did use expanding foam, and used it so liberally that it's bonded my window board to my window sill.

I'll take some photos when good light comes and gather opinions for next steps.
    Thoughts are:
    1. New windows and frames, put in properly. Triple glazed?
    2. Cut, chisel, saw away the existing wooden trim, support with expanding foam, gradually chipping around the whole window so support is always in place.
    3. Any other recommendations or thought processes from the Screwfix community.
    I'm close to the aircraft flight path so switching to triple glazing wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Costs are adding up though...

Mr right first time - thanks for your help, I'd have thought the same as you.

Cheers,
    Andy.