Removing moss from tiled roof

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by peajay, Oct 25, 2006.

1. peajay

peajay Member

I have an old house that has loads of moss on the roof tiles, can anyone suggest a good product to remove it ?I know there are people knocking on the door to offer to spray to remove it and it works quite well, but anyone know what product they use ?

2. m546

m546 New Member

Hi peajay
    I know this post may get pelters of some the members on here but I have been told that washing powdercan be used to kill moss. sorry dont know the mix ration but I will get back to you when I see the old fella that passed this wisdom to me.
    M546

3. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

use caustic soda

but if you do be careful, it's hazardous.

4. peajay

peajay Member

I have been told that bleach works but the tiles are very old and I am concerned about using chemicals that may deteriate them.

5. nigel

nigel Guest

Depending on access have used jeyes fluid, kills everything within two weeks, or spirit of salts, kills everthing within two minutes, and you if you are not careful.Dead moss hoses off , must protect gutters or dead moss will block.

6. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

www.copperridge.co.uk

This systme does work and many of my customers have had it done.

7. peajay

peajay Member

Nigel
    What is spirit of salts and where can I buy it ?

8. Welsh decorator

Welsh decorator New Member

You could try useing strands of copper wire, run accross the length of the roof, every few courses, when it rains it produces copper sulphate, (dont collect the run off water, slighty contaminated) this will act as a weed killer, the moss will wash off with the rain over time and it will stop any further contamination of the roof.
    If? you go down the route of presure washing, be very carfull, make sure that the person doing the job is properly insured, or your roof could be flooded!

9. peajay

peajay Member

This copper sounds like a good idea, I have seen copper sheet available that could be cut into strips, can anyone suggest a way of attaching it to old clay ridge tiles ? some sort of adhesive ? Does the copper leave green stains on the tiles ?

10. nigel

nigel Guest

Spirit of salts = hydrochloric acid. [about 30%].
    From any hardware store.Any on skin will burn, in eyes will blind.

11. george682

george682 New Member

Hi peajay,

Here is the Armillatox site. http://www.armillatox.com/

I've used this product on numerous roof tiles with fantastic results.
    Just spray it on and leave it.

Regards,

George

12. peajay

peajay Member

George682 this sounds like good stuff, where can I buy it ?

thanks

13. STGO

STGO New Member

phone them mate, they will have an idea, or send you some

14. TicklyT

TicklyT New Member

Think I've seen Armillatox on the shelf at garden centres. Got some myself for the same job a few years back, but I moved house instead.